Recording/Stream Status Overlay

thomasjonson

hi all. This is my first post here. Even i use OBS for a long time.

The Software is great and Powerfull. I use it to record Games and Stream to Twitch.

One thing is missing to total happiness :-)

Do you plan to build in some Stats Overlay for Fullscreen Game Recording? A little red blinking dot for recording would be great. Also some other recording stats as bitrate and maybe Filesize would be very nice.

The Problem is, that i often forgot about Status in Game. Sometimes Recording not started or something else.

regards .

TJ

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
it is something I'd like to do, yea, but I have so many things to work on

Shooter90

I agree with thomas on this, like a blinking light at least. On top of this, probably a runtime counter and mic and speaker status with or without the volume.

No rush, I too like the program but it would be nice minor feature for OBS or Refactor in the future.

I wonder if this is possible to do as a plugin?

Jhonny Rosa

U mean a overlay like OSD displaying things like fps, bitrate and live/recording status right? that would be really great.

DanSyor

I was just picturing some blinking transparent OBS logo in a corner of the screen chose by user (with some blue background while streaming and red background while recording and green background when doing both), but being able to check things like said in the above message such as what we can see in the status bar of OBS (in the bottom of OBS window) might be nice.
I guess it can be the job of a plugin developer to allow as much configuration as one can want.

Still, it's nice, but can wait.

SDPhantom

This would be nice if only for recording status, like what Dxtory has.
Currently, I add in my laptop's built-in webcam at 0% opacity so I can use its LED to indicate if OBS is recording.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'm going to make sure it's possible to extend the hook to allow this. I probably can't add such things right away though, if not for a very long time.

SDPhantom

When you get to putting it in, I think it would be a good idea to expose the overlay to the OBS API so plugin authors would be able to create and use their own custom overlay designs.

chummy

Such thing would be nice and i hope can add OSD capture in recording. I like OBS because have the best quicksync and Nvenc recording results for 1080p60fps videos compared to afterburner which can't produce 60fps stable videos, but the lack of OSD reading in OBS is a thing i miss a lot.

nomadcrossfire

i agree an overlay would be cool, but a temp solution is to use the system tray icon. set it to always show and when its recording it has a red dot over it. thats a lot better than nothing. hope this helps

Trig

This is pretty important it makes it hard to tell if you are actually recording or not, i lost 30minutes of footage because I must of pressed the record keybind too quickly after alt-tabbing.