Question / Help Recording main audio output of UAD Apollo 8 soundcard

Hungry_Man

Hello All,

I'm still trying to get my audio up and running in OBS and would be grateful for help from anyone on OS X who uses an external (in my case thunderbolt) audio card.

I want to record the screen of myself producing music from my studio using Ableton with main audio output, so whatever I hear coming out of the speakers from the soundcard is what OBS records.

I've tried a few tutorials and the following:

The closest I've got is the 1st 2nd inputs of the soundcard appearing in the mic/aux mixer, appearing in sources window, seeing levels in the mixer when playing audio on these inputs but when I record screen there is no sound on the recorded file.

Can anyone who has done this please share their midi/audio setup settings? Theres so many software layers of io routing so lots of places to potentially go wrong...

Thanks so much

Hagop

rithma

BUMP - same situation. Would like to route audio from UAD Console into OBS, so far I only see option to select Soundflower inputs.

InSinkProductions

I'm fairly new to OBS, but I'm an audio engineer at a studio. My understanding of OBS is that it can not utilize more than the first two inputs of an audio interface. What I am doing is using a 2 channel output off of my 32 channel digital console into another digital console into inputs 1 and 2. You don't really need to do this, as Core audio line input (3.5mm 1/9 inch jack) on your mac will suffice. (if your mac has one)

InSinkProductions

I'm fairly new to OBS, but I'm an audio engineer at a studio. My understanding of OBS is that it can not utilize more than the first two inputs of an audio interface. What I am doing is using a 2 channel output off of my 32 channel digital console into another digital console into inputs 1 and 2. You don't really need to do this, as Core audio line input (3.5mm 1/8 inch jack) on your mac will suffice. (if your mac has one)

Narcogen

On the Mac if you need manual channel routing look at LoopBack by Rogue Amoeba. You can create a virtual device, assign to it the channels you need from your hardware device, and OBS can capture the virtual device.

SONICrider

Hi Narcogen, thanks for your answer Loopback is a cool tool that works a you said - easy. Happy that I now can capture my main out of my UAD set up.

JimDaneker

If you want a free and totally solid alternative to Loopback, try Blackhole. I've been using it with my UA setup and it's been working flawlessly. The only thing you have to watch out for is that OBS adds about 6db of gain while broadcasting/recording, despite what its meters say - and I can't figure out why. Otherwise, it's a great setup. Here's an example I just did the other night from my synth room - before I figured out the OBS gain issue, so it clips occasionally... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lNd2Kn9PE&t=369s

Good luck!

RecordMixRepeat

Hello All,

I'm still trying to get my audio up and running in OBS and would be grateful for help from anyone on OS X who uses an external (in my case thunderbolt) audio card.

I want to record the screen of myself producing music from my studio using Ableton with main audio output, so whatever I hear coming out of the speakers from the soundcard is what OBS records.

I've tried a few tutorials and the following:

The closest I've got is the 1st 2nd inputs of the soundcard appearing in the mic/aux mixer, appearing in sources window, seeing levels in the mixer when playing audio on these inputs but when I record screen there is no sound on the recorded file.

Can anyone who has done this please share their midi/audio setup settings? Theres so many software layers of io routing so lots of places to potentially go wrong...

Thanks so much

Hagop
I have an Apollo x8. The only way I have been able to figure this out is as follows
In the UAD console select Cue Outputs. Under source select Mix. Under Mirror to Output select a pair of Line Outs. I selected Line 1-2.
Make a patch from the Line 1 and Line 2 1/4" TRS outputs to the Line in on your Mac (if it has one). Newer Mac Mini computers do not have a line input. Very bad idea. Anyway you will need some adapters to go from 1/4" TRS to a male TRS mini plug for the mac input.
If you do have a line input on your mac, in OBS settings>Audio>Devices, you can select "Built In Audio" from one of the radio button selectors and the mix out from Apollo will be there.
If you do not have a line input (like me!) because you have a newer Mac, then you will need to purchase a simple USB audio interface to patch the line outs from your Apollo to. That audio interface would then show up on one of the radio button selections.
I purchased a Behringer UMC202HD 192k usb interface for around $200. It does the job and I get what I need from my Apollo.
Hope this helps