Recording locally on a single screen, how to verify recording active?

DonkTV

I don't stream much but I record locally most of my gameplay. I only have a single monitor and all too often I'll find after a gameplay session the recording failed, either been recording black screen (audio fine), or started out OK but maybe an in game video settings change or a loading screen will make OBS lose the capture. Or the capture never even started despite pressing the hotkey.
Alt tabbing out to check the capture is risky since the OBS capture system seems (and many games) sensitive to any video mode changes
I've played around with most of the capture modes (display, window, any fullscreen, specific window). I'm not sure what 'foreground window with hotkey' means though.

A second monitor is not feasible in my space so I'm open to any suggestion to verify that a recording is active and capturing gameplay.

Maybe a notification sound when the recording starts would be nice, that would signal the hotkey was received and recording started.

What's the most reliable mode to capture a game? What's the best way to monitor the video capture status on a single screen?

Muelo1000

Hello,
I have asked for an overlay that would help us do that using only one monitor, but it seems they dont have time to do it. Sounds like they are busy working on other things only thing I can suggest at this point is get a small 17-19 inch monitor and hook it up as your obs screen. That is what I had to do for my self.