Question / Help Recording laggy and choppy.

Callum C

Ive been recording using these settings http://prntscr.com/e2take at 720p30FPS and ive noticed that my recording are choppy and there are big gaps in between. This is in lower FPS areas but its still always above 30 which its recording at. Should I lower my bit rate change recording to my AMD card?

i have a I5-4460 8GB RAM and an RX 480

C-Dude

Change your encoder to AMD VCE. Always use GPU encoders for local recordings whenever possible since you don't need the compression from x264.

x264 is great for streaming since you can get much better compression on your stream but it is bad for local recordings.

Changing your bitrate wouldn't do anything since you are using the 'indistinguishable quality' preset. You could easily record to 1080p60 with AMD VCE. These settings are really good if you want to use advanced output mode or have multiple audio tracks.

Since you only have it set to 720p30 I don't thing the only problem is that you are using the x264 encoder (unless you are streaming at the same time) What game are you playing? and make sure to post a log of this problem happening. make sure there is a recording in it. (record for a few minutes then stop, wait a few seconds then hit 'upload current log' and post the link it gives you in the reply box.)

Callum C

Change your encoder to AMD VCE. Always use GPU encoders for local recordings whenever possible since you don't need the compression from x264.

x264 is great for streaming since you can get much better compression on your stream but it is bad for local recordings.

Changing your bitrate wouldn't do anything since you are using the 'indistinguishable quality' preset. You could easily record to 1080p60 with AMD VCE. These settings are really good if you want to use advanced output mode or have multiple audio tracks.

Since you only have it set to 720p30 I don't thing the only problem is that you are using the x264 encoder (unless you are streaming at the same time) What game are you playing? and make sure to post a log of this problem happening. make sure there is a recording in it. (record for a few minutes then stop, wait a few seconds then hit 'upload current log' and post the link it gives you in the reply box.)

Thanks for the reply. Im playing dishonored 2 and sometimes dishonored 1 but i believe that has a valid reason for being choppy (still annoying). ill try AMD using it and see if it stops.i deleted my recording with the choppiness but I plan on recording tommorow hopefully. Also would a log really be helpful? And should i change the output from mp4? does that even make a difference?

C-Dude

Logs are extremely helpful since I can view your settings and see any potential issues.

As of your format, I along with most people use mp4 without a problem. Some people will say not to use mp4, but personally I have never had a problem with it.

Also try turning on VSync or capping your game's framerate to 60. This should free up some resources to do the enocding.

Callum C

Logs are extremely helpful since I can view your settings and see any potential issues.

As of your format, I along with most people use mp4 without a problem. Some people will say not to use mp4, but personally I have never had a problem with it.

Also try turning on VSync or capping your game's framerate to 60. This should free up some resources to do the enocding.
Ok I'll try capping it at 60. But I just did a quick video and this is what I got https://youtu.be/VLlemq26fgA \\Go to 35 seconds.

Logs:
https://gist.github.com/70255c58782c998e455003971528f745

C-Dude

-Update OBS
-Change your base resolution to 1920x1080 in the video tab (and downscale filter lanczos)
-Your current settings are TERRIBLE never use CRF on veryfast. Only use CRF on ultrafast. CRF on veryfast causes extreme lag.
-Definitely use the AMD encoder with the settings from here:
  • Quality Preset: Quality (maximum compression, change to Balanced or Speed if having issues)
  • Profile: High
  • Profile Level: 5.2 or 5.1 (depending on what is available)
  • Keyframe Interval: 2
  • Rate Control Method: CQP
  • on CQP: I-/P-/B-Frame QP: 11-22 (Default is 22)
Try putting your CQP to all around 16 to start it is just like CRF.

Also I don't have an AMD card so I don't really know much about the settings or how they work.

Callum C

-Update OBS
-Change your base resolution to 1920x1080 in the video tab (and downscale filter lanczos)
-Your current settings are TERRIBLE never use CRF on veryfast. Only use CRF on ultrafast. CRF on veryfast causes extreme lag.
-Definitely use the AMD encoder with the settings from here:
  • Quality Preset: Quality (maximum compression, change to Balanced or Speed if having issues)
  • Profile: High
  • Profile Level: 5.2 or 5.1 (depending on what is available)
  • Keyframe Interval: 2
  • Rate Control Method: CQP
  • on CQP: I-/P-/B-Frame QP: 11-22 (Default is 22)
Try putting your CQP to all around 16 to start it is just like CRF.

Also I don't have an AMD card so I don't really know much about the settings or how they work.

Appreciate it dude seems to work fine. Still a few choppy parts but its still visible for the most part and thats most likely due to Dishonoreds poor game perfromance.. I had no idea my settings were so poor pretty sure someone told me to just use simple ones but ty. I had one issue where OBS wouldnt start recording using AMD hardware but i saw this and now it works. https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...-plugin-for-obs-studio.427/update?update=1198

C-Dude

Well if you play uncapped how many frames are you getting? you would need to be getting a fair amount more than 60 to free up enough resources for OBS to encode with.

If you are getting choppy parts in game too then it is definitely just the games fault.

Callum C

Well if you play uncapped how many frames are you getting? you would need to be getting a fair amount more than 60 to free up enough resources for OBS to encode with.

If you are getting choppy parts in game too then it is definitely just the games fault.
The framerate in dishonored is all over the place. i cant give you a definitive number. I get over 100 in some maps and then just over 40 in others. But where can I find the profile level?

C-Dude

Should be one of the options after you select the AMD encoder. It won't affect quality its just for compatibility so as long as it records when you hit start recording you are fine, they might have removed it if you don't see it. I can't tell since I don't have an AMD card.

You could try recording with window capture instead of game capture. I find that doing that sometimes makes it so I don't have to turn on Vsync sometimes, other times it just makes performance worse.

You can check to see if you are also getting lag in other games, it might just be Dishonored

Callum C

Should be one of the options after you select the AMD encoder. It won't affect quality its just for compatibility so as long as it records when you hit start recording you are fine, they might have removed it if you don't see it. I can't tell since I don't have an AMD card.

You could try recording with window capture instead of game capture. I find that doing that sometimes makes it so I don't have to turn on Vsync sometimes, other times it just makes performance worse.

You can check to see if you are also getting lag in other games, it might just be Dishonored
Im pretty sure its just dishonored and dishonored 2 I was getting lag for. But I dont have a reason to record any other games. Anyway your voodoo magic seems to have worked. i appreciate it.

Encoder Profile Level settings are direct references for the encoder to work with in regards to resolution output. You can hover over the drop-down box to see the number references for what resolution you are recording at (Output, not your game resolution) Think of this setting as more of a concrete slab to build upon than anything else, at least from what I have tested.
If doing local recording, you are better off with using VBR_LAT mode, setting to 50k target bit rate and 90k peak bit rate to allow your card to flex its muscle when it needs to. VBR_LAT mode will adjust the bit rate on the fly whilst using low latency input, which allows for reasonably good file size output for great quality recordings. It is by far the best mode for local recording for an amd card as from my testing it impacts game fps the least, has best stability on recording fps as well.
If you are insistent on pushing as much quality as possible into your recordings then using CQP 8-16 should net you just about 'lossless' quality.
For more configuration info on parameters:
https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-studio_amf-encoder-plugin/wiki/Configuration
For a general reference of what your Rx 480 should be capable of at different output resolutions:
https://github.com/Xaymar/obs-studio_amf-encoder-plugin/wiki/Hardware-VCE3.4#rx-480

To note, your CPU is a 4 core without Hyper Threading, so it could very well be the limiting factor in terms of your game and recording fps overall. I have an older generation i5 2500 non-k and for resource intensive games (Battlefield 4, for example) it causes drops in fps in game play and subsequent encoder lag due to the SKU hitting 100% on all cores. Not sure about Dishonored 1 or 2 though.

On another note, I noticed you are using a 64 bit version of Windows, why not use the 64 bit version of OBS Studio?

Callum C

hella late to reply but thats a super helpful response. Im gonna stick with CQP and all that lossless goodness. but thanks alot.

gabby2142

I have an HP Laptop and I'm trying to record The Sims 4 through OBS Studio. My videos would either freeze or the lag would be super bad. I did the wizard setup and it's still a problem. I even tried messing with the settings but nothing is working at all. Please help. I's appreciate it.

gabby2142

I have an HP Laptop and I'm trying to record The Sims 4 through OBS Studio. My videos would either freeze or the lag would be super bad or both. The lagging is crazy and very annoying. I did the wizard setup and it's still a problem. I even tried messing with the settings but nothing is working at all. Please help. I's appreciate it.

Attachments

• 2017-12-22 21-24-16.txt
    11.6 KB · Views: 362
  • 2017-12-25 15-04-20.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 124
I have an HP Laptop and I'm trying to record The Sims 4 through OBS Studio. My videos would either freeze or the lag would be super bad or both. The lagging is crazy and very annoying. I did the wizard setup and it's still a problem. I even tried messing with the settings but nothing is working at all. Please help. I's appreciate it.
Sorry to say @gabby2142, your laptop just is not capable at all of doing any type of recording or streaming. It just doesn't have the hardware capability needed.
The only way you could get around this is to purchase a more capable laptop or a desktop (If you build your own desktop computer, it can potentially save you a lot of money - The more money you spend the more money you save by building it yourself)

Robinblitz

Hello everyone, recently with streaming I've been having quite some fps lag on OBS' side. Whenever I tab into my game my OBS itself already drops from 60 to ~30 for no reason. This never used to happen until like a month ago. I'll post my log here: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/9fcb16e3e98602bdb54773bfcfdc6ec1 My GTX 1070 should be fine to do this. But games like Tarkov really kick my performance in the dick. Even when capping my game FPS to 60. (I have a 1440p 144hz monitor.)

@Robinblitz,
In your log file you have some minor rendering lag (3.6% of 300,000+ frames)

Your webcam resolution is not needing to be that high for a small overlay, unless you are doing a podcast type stream where it is more or less a full screen webcam output. You can reduce the resolution to 1280x720, keeping the frame rate at 30 for better performance.

Limiting your frame rate in-game will help a lot in getting the best quality out of your hardware in regards to streaming. I recommend using MSI AfterBurner or EVGA Precision to cap your fps to your monitor refresh rate, or 1-3 frames higher than your monitor refresh rate will generally resolve the issue of screen tearing. Try to avoid V-Sync as it can induce input lag.

How large are the files for your media sources?
Very large files can be detrimental to performance as well.

You could try using x264 encoder (CPU) which will net you better quality output when streaming, as it is far superior to h264 encoding (GPU) It will also take some of the load off your GPU though will put ~90% of the load onto your CPU.

Do you recall any windows/hardware (Graphics, etc) updates around the time you started experiencing frame rate drops?

Not owning the game, so only having benchmark videos from YouTube to go by...
Escape from Tarkov appears to be very un-optimized at present, CPU & GPU usage seems well down on what it should be, giving hardware similar to yours used the benchmarks. You will have to wait until a later patch addresses the optimization issues, unless there is a fix/work-around in forums somewhere (Could also try Reddit, not just dev/game forums)

The good news is you don't have any issue in regards to bandwidth/network frame loss. This means you can actually increase your bitrate if you desire, to assist in improving quality. Do note that your viewers may be affected by this as your bitrate is their download rate they have to have to watch your stream without buffering/hitching issues.

If you still experience performance issues, can you please open a new thread and link my username (Put an '@' in-front of my username) to it so I can be notified and then try to further assist in troubleshooting.

I hope this helps you out!

Please guys,
Every system configuration is different, even if it has exactly the same hardware. The environment is different due to drivers, software, settings, etc. Can you please start a new thread for questions or troubleshooting assistance, as this thread was started in February 2017 by Callum C, who has not posted a reply since July 2017.

Legend70

I don't understand anything youve said and my recording is very laggy even tho I have it on 60 fps and high quality and I'm only recording me playing minecraft right now (I'm planning to record Tanki Online later) PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!