Recording indicator or option to not show preview until recording starts?

Hawky

I have 2 monitors so it is easy to check on OBS while recording. However it is difficult to tell whether or not OBS Studio is recording or not! In classic OBS it was easy to know when you were recording because once you started recording, the preview would show. In OBS Studio the preview is always showing. The only indicators you are recording is that the time recording will start going up and the "Start Recording" button changes to "Stop Recording". They are easy to miss. It would be very nice the have the option "Do not show preview until streaming/recording" that way you know when the recording has started (Like how it is in OBS Classic). Even better would be a recording indicator within OBS Studio. A simple indicator like a breathing red dot at the corner of the preview would be awesome! This way you still have the preview functionality before recording. Couldn't the red dot be added with a plug-in too?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
This has been requested before. I am not totally sure what Jim is planning to do at the moment though. But it will probably be a part of future UI improvements. Such as the new program mode in the last update.
The indicator has to seperate between recording/streaming or both. Some people also requested for OBS to show an overlay over your game that indicates if you are recording. But that will probably not happen.
Personally I suggested to animate the Start/Stop Stream and Recording buttons on the interface. For example show them in red while being active.

Hawky

This has been requested before. I am not totally sure what Jim is planning to do at the moment though. But it will probably be a part of future UI improvements. Such as the new program mode in the last update.
The indicator has to seperate between recording/streaming or both. Some people also requested for OBS to show an overlay over your game that indicates if you are recording. But that will probably not happen.
Personally I suggested to animate the Start/Stop Stream and Recording buttons on the interface. For example show them in red while being active.

Thanks for the info! I wouldn't like having the indicator overlay my game like Dxtory does. However the animated Start/Stop buttons sounds cool.
Another idea I had would be to just have red text next to the recording time that says "Recording." Here, I made an example of just that!

TgIJ0iK.png

That is what I think would work best.

LiquidDivide

I use this with full screen applications frequently and have had to redo long videos due to double tapping the hot key, etc. I'd like simple audio cues for when recording starts and stops. Even more helpful would be a countdown before.

"Recording in 3 ... 2 ... ..." No 1 intentionally.
"Recording stopped."

That's what I'd really like. Visual like above is okay for non-fulscreen stuff, but audio or an overlay is almost required for full screen.

User123

I like the idea of audio cues for fullscreen/single display users.
"Recording in 3 ... 2 ... ..." might take too long for some users who need to record something on the spot but it's a nice idea.
I would suggest a loud and unique sound that lasts between 300-1000 milliseconds and can be easily distinguished from other background noise.
If Jim allows, the visual overlay for fullscreen applications can be an optional plugin made by a volunteer but I think these sort of overlays can cause problems for some 3D applications and mod combinations.