Recording in 1080p on a 21:9 resolution

terminalsyzygy

I know this has been posted before but I can't seem to find a solution for my specific problem.

My monitor, my only monitor, is 2560x1080, or 21:9. I want to record videos on OBS in a 1920x1080 resolution. I went ahead and set my base canvas size to that resolution. In an attempt to recording the game screen in 1080p with no borders I've tried launching the game in 1920x1080 but that leaves a black bar at the top in OBS because of the window border. I can't go fullscreen in the game because if I go fullscreen it will stretch the game to 2560x1080, my full resolution and go way outside of the OBS canvas.

Is there anything that can fix this or am I screwed?

FerretBomb

Normally I'd suggest Windowed Mode, but some games use that as the overall window size (as sounds like is happening in your case, with the black bar).
You could try a piece of (non-free) software called Borderless Gaming; it takes windowed-mode programs and makes them borderless fullscreen... it MIGHT columnbox the game on your monitor.
Some games will also allow the 'borderless fullscreen' option (if so equipped) to set a specific resolution, and only draw to that part of the screen.
Another option would be to temporarily drive your monitor at 1920x1080 if possible, using CRU (Custom Resolution Utility), if your monitor would work with one. Or check if Windows can just run it at 16:9. You'd end up with the game badly horizontally stretched on your monitor though, best-case scenario.

You've already said that running at 21:9 and just cropping off the sides in OBS isn't acceptable.
So beyond that, yeah, pretty much boned. This is one reason nonstandard aspect ratios are not recommended for content creators. On the up side, snagging a cheap 16:9 monitor shouldn't be too expensive, and if you do, boom, two monitor setup! It's a game-changer, especially for content creation and any power-user application.