Recorded videos sometimes start stuttering after a minute or so then get worse with time

rockbottom

Fire up GPU-Z & look at the advanced tab. Are your link rates significantly lower than what I'm getting? I'm using a 2.0 DP cable.

1692467977124.png

rockbottom

Anyway, you can play in 4k but if the Link Rate is not high enough, the GPU will only expose resolutions/frame-rates supported by the hardware or I believe in this case, the cable.

rockbottom

Actually it is, my Monitor 1 is only 1080p. For a 4k monitor it should be higher, in the 17-25Gpbs range for 4k @ 60FPS. I use a FitheadlessGS (HDMI) as my 4k monitor so it is limited to 30FPS by Nvidia & has a slower link rate. Here's a good chart that shows what the Link Rates should be.

If you set your monitor to 30HZ, 2160p resolution should be exposed.

1692539421657.png

rockbottom

Since we're troubleshooting, there's also another possibility, power. The 3090 requires (2) dedicated runs directly to the PSU (300W). A single power cable with (2) connectors on the GPU side is not sufficient for full operation (150W). I actually ran (3) in my rig for upgrading down the road.

1692557792886.png

Yeah but again, if any of this was a problem, I wouldnt be playing games at 4K 144hz, so all this is moot really as if there were any issues with bandwidth I wouldnt be running those resolutions and frame rates. As for power, same thing, if there was any power issues you would get freezes, crashes, bsods etc. But yeah its got all the power it needs, had zero problems in just under 3 years.
The oiginal recording issue seems to be fixed anyway, not sure which bit it was but tried deleting the display capture while capturing game footage i havent had issues since.