rc=vbr_hq not valid anymore? Optimising for editing

Tony359

Hi all

I'm using OBS recordings in Resolve and I wanted to make sure I set up OBS right so Resolve doesn't have to struggle "too much".

On the Resolve forum someone suggested adding this string in the FFMPEG Video Encoder Setting field

Code:
preset=slow rc=vbr_hq qmin=0 rc-lookahead=32 cq=12

However I get a syntax error message if rc=vbr_hq is included. I've searched a lot online and I did find the option should be valid - but maybe this has changed?

I do appreciate H264/H265 are not the best for editing but I don't think I'm prepared to have many gigabytes of files for simple screen captures! Nevertheless, please do feel free to recommend what you think the best settings are for an "editing friendlier" format.

Cheers!

sandrix

For recording with VBR bitrate (H.264)
preset=p5 profile=high tune=hq multipass=fullres rc=vbr b=40M maxrate=80M bufsize=80M g=120 rc-lookahead=32 bf=2 b_adapt=1 b_ref_mode=middle temporal-aq=1 spatial-aq=1

rockbottom

YW!

I know you're trying to make the recordings easier to decode, you should remove all of this. B frames require the most processing power to decode. On top of it, B Frames are the lowest quality frame type. Using them makes the recording slightly smaller in size but it reduces the quality too.

rc-lookahead=32 bf=2 b_adapt=1 b_ref_mode=middle temporal-aq=1 spatial-aq=1

Tony359

Thanks, appreciated.

Quality is really not too much of a big deal - I'm recording datasheets and oscilloscopes, really nothing difficult to encode. I'll try with your settings, thanks for your help!