Question / Help Random stuttering in preview which goes into recorded videos.

lacie_mouse

Hi, just to say I have the same issue.... (i9 10900K + Nvidia RTX 3090)
With any settings output (30fps, 60fps, x264, NVEnc, streaming, recording or just preview).
I believe there is an issue between OBS & Windows, when the picture is transferred (a cache or buffer issue in Windows probably?).
As I know, I never saw this kind of issue on Mac or Linux. But it doesn't really help us :(
Found anything? I’m stuck

uwu

Yo guys i'm experiencing similar issue, cpu, gpu, network all piss chilling but i'm getting drops for no reason on preview/recording/stream no matter the settings used. I'm on a single pc dual 1080/144 setup. I think the problem comes from the capturing methods. If i use an mp4 file of a smooth 60fps video as a source now all of sudden everything appears to be smooth to me. Same with chatbox, the animation at which the messages come in is still 60fps smooth while gameplay seems to be dropping under 60. Also when i used to stream console games (using elgato) i didnt have this issue everything was really smooth even after hours of streaming. I think using "video capture device" rather than game/display/window capture is the way to fix it. Whoever has an 1080/60 elgato with a similar setup than mine or another way to capture screen with this capture method can help us out i think id rather have confirmation before throwing money out the window.
I apologize in advance if you guys already ruled out this option i might have missed a message.

Last edited:

TKTV

I too have the micro stutter in my preview window which makes it into my recordings and streams. I did however find a solution to it for my capture card (elgato hd60 pro). If I enable buffering in the video capture device settings, the stutter remains in the preview but doesn't appear in the recording or stream video. Unfortunately no matter what I try, I still have the stutter present in my recordings/streams while using game capture, display capture or windows capture.

If there were a way to add buffering to those other sources, it would possibly remedy a lot of our issues.

Thoughts?

uwu

I too have the micro stutter in my preview window which makes it into my recordings and streams. I did however find a solution to it for my capture card (elgato hd60 pro). If I enable buffering in the video capture device settings, the stutter remains in the preview but doesn't appear in the recording or stream video. Unfortunately no matter what I try, I still have the stutter present in my recordings/streams while using game capture, display capture or windows capture.

If there were a way to add buffering to those other sources, it would possibly remedy a lot of our issues.

Thoughts?

I'd lean towards that too there has to be something fucked with obs/slobs capture methods. Especially considering that the issue disappears with some other software as stated in other pages. Big streamers using obs are probably on dual pc/capture card setups using video capture device on their scene which would explain why their stream is always butter

Tiffo

I have the same issue with my preview. I'm on a dual setup with Avermedia 4k Capture Card. My gaming rig is 1080p144 while i'm trying to stream in 60fps. My stream is great, smooth, but the preview anoys me.... I've tried everything I could. What helped most was disabling the hardware acceleration for browsers in the settings. I try not to focus on the preview issue, but it's difficult... I would love to solve that ASAP

Tiffo

Hello guys,

I was doing some testings because every now and than I have this preview issue, so once it doesn't show in my recordings or stream, I thought the monitor could be the reason someway...
In the exact moment I'm writing this, I've tested playing for 1 hour while recording AC Valhalla which is a very detailed game and it would be a good challenge for OBS to render and show it back to me on preview.

I use a two PC setup and I just adjusted both pcs to 59,94 hz. I did the same in the source setting for the capture card into OBS.
I've played and recorded for an hour without any lag in the preview window.

I'll keep testing, but maybe it could be a new flank to fight...
Cheers from Brazil,

TKTV

So a strange discovery. I set my vsync to half refresh rate in the Nvidia settings panel and my recordings with game capture were almost void of any stutter. I will have to test further as I was limited in time to properly test. At least it's a bit of hope.

pilot40

Не знаю поможет ли это остальным, но попробовать стоит. Для себя я эту проблему решил так.
Сначала зашел на сайт https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate#background=000000&foreground=ffffff&digits=4 и измерил точную частоту монитора на котором идет игра.

Получилось 59.9968.

Затем в настройках "Видео" ОБС выставил дробное значение FPS: в числителе 599968 в знаменателе 10000.

Захват произвожу в режиме захвата отдельного окна игры.

В настройках панели Nvidia отключил VSync, отключил ограничение кадров и включил тройную буферизацию.

Игру запускаю в РЕЖИМЕ БЕЗ ГРАНИЦ.

В самой игре VSync ВКЛЮЧЕН.

Все тесты проводил в игре Dirt Rally 2.0

Попробуйте - может поможет. Всем успехов!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know if this will help the others, but it's worth a try. For myself, I solved this problem like this.
First I went to the site https://www.testufo.com/refreshrate#background=000000&foreground=ffffff&digits=4 and measured the exact frequency of the monitor on which the game is running.

It turned out 59.9968.

Then, in the "Video" settings, OBS set a fractional FPS value: in the numerator 599968 in the denominator 10000.

The capture is performed in the capture mode of a separate game window.

In the panel settings, Nvidia disabled VSync, disabled frame limiting, and enabled triple buffering.

I start the game in BORDERLESS MODE.

In the game itself, VSync is ON.

All tests were carried out in the game Dirt Rally 2.0

Try it - it might help. Success to everyone!