Random audio issues

aruantec

Cool, glad you found it!

I took a quick look, that feature shouldn't be enabled when using OBS anyway. Anti-Lag, Frame Generation, Super Resolution, ect, sounds like trouble....
I didn't post again because I was doing some more testing as the problem was still present. The changes I made in the last post helped a bit, but I forgot that the problem occurred after 3 minutes or so and the videos I made during testing were about 2 minutes only. In desperation I ended up buying an Avermedia Live Gamer Ultra 2.1 capture device hoping it would completely fix my problem and to my surprise it didn't, as I was still experiencing audio problems.

My last option was to factory reset my Windows and after doing so I did not install any AMD software and used only the Windows driver and that my friend completely solved the problem!!!!

Here is a video I made recording about 6 minutes with absolutely no audio problems and to my surprise much better performance than before:

Forza Motosport was the game giving me most audio issues while recording (I did not used my capture card but just my hardware).

Thank you once again for the suggestions!

Last edited:

AaronD

...factory reset my Windows and after doing so I did not install any AMD software and used only the Windows driver and that my friend completely solved the problem!!!!

...absolutely no audio problems and to my surprise much better performance than before:

Yep! Beware of things trying to help, and end up just fumbling around instead. That's amazingly common, even from big names!

Lawrence_SoCal

My last option was to factory reset my Windows and after doing so I did not install any AMD software and used only the Windows driver and that my friend completely solved the problem!!!!
junk AMD software has been a well-known issue for a VERY long time. AMD mentality at upper levels is to make good (to great) hardware (relatively speaking), slap together some proof-of-concept code and then let others test/fix the code (OEM workstation type software). For consumers.. well.. whatever.. (its like they outsource to high school interns)
really unfortunate as I've love AMD to get its act together and provide some real competition.

Yes, I've had NDA discussions with AMD enterprise account reps over the years, and been really disappointed with AMDs responses.... every time

aruantec

Yep! Beware of things trying to help, and end up just fumbling around instead. That's amazingly common, even from big names!
junk AMD software has been a well-known issue for a VERY long time. AMD mentality at upper levels is to make good (to great) hardware (relatively speaking), slap together some proof-of-concept code and then let others test/fix the code (OEM workstation type software). For consumers.. well.. whatever.. (its like they outsource to high school interns)
really unfortunate as I've love AMD to get its act together and provide some real competition.

Yes, I've had NDA discussions with AMD enterprise account reps over the years, and been really disappointed with AMDs responses.... every time

I am a coder myself and am aware of how things work in the software development world hehehehehe.

I recently switched to a full AMD setup and I came from an Intel and Nvidia setup that always worked flawlesly but was relatively old and needed an upgrade. AMD seemed like the best choice and hardware wise I think it is, but the software is as people say and it's not that great. Kinda sad as IMO the hardware is excellent and the performance is amazing.

As said in my previous post the performance with the Windows driver is amazing and yesterday just to test I installed the AMD software once again and to my surprise it does not have the problem now. I think it was due to several updates and installation that something broke, but the biggest surprise for me is that the performance even using HYPR-RX is worse than when using the Windows driver.

At least I have learned something about AMD through this whole story and will avoid most of their software from now on. The only reason I used their latest software was to test FSR 3 but with the low compatibility right now I don't think it's worth it.

The good thing about all this is that I now have a very good 4k capture card and can use it to record games from my PS5 or oder devices without having the need to use an external HDD all the time to copy my videos .

Kurazarrh

If you're still using the Application Capture beta plugin, you may still experience issues. The developers are aware of these issues as can be found here:

It is confirmed as an OBS bug. Downgrading to OBS 28 or 27 and using the win-audio-capture external plugin allows recording without these issues. Also, if you record your desktop audio instead, you can get around the issue--though you run the risk of capturing other sounds, too.

rockbottom

I was going to build a system with an AMD CPU back in 2021 & then Intel dropped Gen 12. Best move I never made IMO, the new system has been flawless since Day 1.

Lawrence_SoCal

Intel's CPU security has been crap for years (latest news reports being Intel lied about fixing known CPU vulnerabilities years ago). Power efficiency is atrocious. don't get me started on recent marketing numnuts driven model naming scheme
- but definitely a more mature s/w dev process and releases ... not bug free, bug heads and shoulder (or more) above /compared to AMD

AMD - much better design, power efficiency, more PCIe lanes (important to me), etc. but abysmal system software ... and unbelievably late to the party of faster USB support ... and 99.999% run a system not a cpu (there are a few doing custom setups)... so choosing between bad choices :(

I'm in the market for a new portable workstation... my choice is stable Intel with TB4 (but thermally constrained) or AMD lacking faster USB/data transfer ports but where CPU using ~1/2 the Watts for given performance frees up those Watts for GPU... From a hardware perspective... I so want a Dragon Range (HX) AMD... but I may end up with 13th or 14th gen Intel HX based system instead.... ugh

rockbottom

Sorry L, you can look for the pony in a pile a shit but from my perspective, I made the right decision & if I was doing it again it would be another Intel/Nvidia setup.

aruantec

So far I have not had any problems, even after recording over 25 minutes using the OBS Audio Capture application as well as Win Audio Capture (using OBS v30 now). I have been trying to track down the actual source of the problem and now after having AMD Adrenaline installed and everything working fine I think it is simply the result of various updates that eventually end up breaking something, but there is one software that I had installed (checked the removed application list after the reset) that could be the route to all of this and that is Equalizer APO and Peace which I don't have installed now. That software interferes directly with the audio and may be the reason.

Since everything is working just fine now I don't want to mess up the system by installing those again, but I have a strong feeling that may be the route to the issue and not the AMD Adrenaline software (which by itself is not the best).

@rockbottom Hardware-wise I can say AMD is pretty solid, but they need to work more on their software department.

rockbottom

Pretty solid doesn't cut it, anyway I edit video & Nvidia is the only way to go with my NLE (Vegas Pro).

Your Nahimic Audio is on the list, I suspect that EQ APO & Peace should be added as well....

Suslik V

I suspect that EQ APO & Peace should be added as well....
It shouldn't.
The issue happens before APO applied. With this APO it is even possible to shift one channel with drop in it when effect applied before the mix (drops always in sync between the channels, and then you'll see them shifted for exact value you specified in the APO).

Suslik V

Downgrading to OBS 28 or 27 and using the win-audio-capture external plugin allows recording without these issues...
It is not.
You need to read whole thread of the issue (https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8064 + parent threads) and see all attempts to fix it. The only thing is known for today is that the "crackling" happens for all implementations that uses MS audio engine.

Platform (Intel/AMD) dependence is not confirmed (AMD - https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...terval-with-application-audio-capture.166472/ ; Intel - https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...-application-audio-capture.166472/post-614929 )
OBS version dependence not confirmed (report from OBS v28 - https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-studio-28-0-release-candidate.158248/post-580074 ; OBS v30 - https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/obs-30-audio-crackling-not-fixed.171070/ ).
External plugins and applications not confirmed (win-audio-capture itself - https://github.com/bozbez/win-capture-audio/issues/256 ; other - https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8064#issuecomment-1743205544).
Even virtual environment affected (https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/issues/8064#issuecomment-1597505629 )

Edit:
because MS audio engine was mentioned above, here is my post that says about two main routes to test MS's native solution: https://obsproject.com/forum/thread...-application-audio-capture.166472/post-629226

Last edited:

aruantec

Pretty solid doesn't cut it, anyway I edit video & Nvidia is the only way to go with my NLE (Vegas Pro).

Your Nahimic Audio is on the list, I suspect that EQ APO & Peace should be added as well....

I haven't disabled Nahimic Audio yet, but oddly enough everything seems to work fine.

Apart from the audio problem (which is software related) I have not had any problems with the hardware at all and in fact it is performing excellently and as good for me as Intel or Nvidia for example. Where Nvidia shines is certainly in the software department as I have never had a single problem even with the mentioned software installed.

It shouldn't.
The issue happens before APO applied. With this APO it is even possible to shift one channel with drop in it when effect applied before the mix (drops always in sync between the channels, and then you'll see them shifted for exact value you specified in the APO).

I'm not sure how EQ APO works and what it does to provide the function it has, but it's the only software I can think of that directly interferes with the audio and could potentially be the reason for the problem or at least related.

aruantec

How long you have tested your last setup? Just curious. Because issue may come back on its own.
You mean my last rig? if so I had my old rig for about 5 years, but I started using OBS about a year ago and it was always solid. The reason I started using OBS was solely because of the Application Audio Capture plugin. As explained on the first page I have some sort of weird setup here and Windows Game DVR (I think that's the name) had that feature in the past and it was the one I always used until MS decided to drop that feature which worked flawlessly.

So far no more problems here and I am very happy with my setup at the moment. The only disappointing thing is that my new capture card HDMI passthrough does not support Surround(5.1) but luckily I have an HDMI splitter to fix that but it still sucks judging by the price Avermedia is asking for it.

Suslik V

I mean how long is your typical recording session. Is 2 to 4 hours enough to consider that the issue solved? Or you need, for example, 6 - 8 hours in one take without restarting any capturing process?

aruantec

I mean how long is your typical recording session. Is 2 to 4 hours enough to consider that the issue solved? Or you need, for example, 6 - 8 hours in one take without restarting any capturing process?
My typical recording session lasts about 30 minutes, mainly due to my connection right now not being the best (until we finally get fiber). Such a session produces about 10gb of video footage which is perfect for me right now. Personally I don't think I'll do more than 2 hours ever unless it's a live stream which I did once to stream my all time favorite game Sekiro and streamed the game from start to finish.

I recently did a test recording about 26 minutes and it was perfect from start to finish so I guess it's completely solved. I also use the HW AV1 codec to reduce the file size while having a relatively good image quality.

aruantec

Just another update for AMD users. I took my time the last 2 weeks and tried everything including installing APO Equalizer and Peace and after doing some more testing and research it wasn't any apps or settings that I believed was causing the problem but the AMD audio driver itself via HDMI. I bought an external sound card just to test as the problem was much better and rarely occurred, but over time it happened from time to time which made me curious to find out the true core of the issue.

When using an external sound card the problem disappears completely in all possible scenarios with a 2ch audio limitation through the digital signal. After further testing I thought of using FxSound as a solution that creates virtual audio speakers and, in theory, take responsibility for the audio that is passed to OBS. That solution ended up being the best as I was able to use the HDMI signal while having 5.1 audio and by setting the FxSound.exe as the sound application to be capured I can record anything running on my computer at any volume level and still get perfect sound in my recordings.

I'm going to report the problem on the AMD forums and maybe they can fix it, but I'm not sure if it's a hardware or software problem. I will use this post as a reference.

Here a almost 20 minutes video with no issues whatsoever: