Quicksync+x264 Future Possible?

sodade21

Hello I wanted to ask... It could be possible to make Quick Sync Work with some other form of encoding like x264 ?
I know that in its current state OBS cannot do that. But it would be theoriticaly possible to make it so that Quicksync make the hard job of raw encoding like when you set it for 10000 Bitrate and at the same time that 10k bitrate stream realtime goes through another encoding (x264) just as light as it possible so it can save you from the upload bandwith and reduce it down to 3500Bitrate for example..?

That Way you can save much of the CPU power for very cpu demanding games that make nearly impossible to stream and play at playble fps without the need to sucrifice too much Quality and Bandwith. Since Quick Sync needs more than 5-6k Bitrate to manage fast motion (when u are still in the game screen the quality is very good but i guess need much much more upload speed -bitrate- to do that in fast motion) with good enough quality but most of streaming sites are not happy with more than 3.5k bitrate.

The Question is.. can this Theory really be Developed ? and if so, could it be worth it? or the work would be very much and the outcome not worthy?

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this thread.. although it is related with the future development (possibly?) feel free to move it to more appropriate place.

vaesauce

I think in the future, the encoding with QuickSync in general will be more efficient in terms of Quality. Also giving the ability to put more custom Settings will help also but it's all things set for the future. Dunno when that'll be but in general, i just want OpenCL to work without it crashing on me and I'd easily choose OpenCL over QuickSync lol.

sodade21

They have said many times that its not possible to make any changes or the ability to put different settings on quicksync cause its not software encoding.its hardware encoding and the only factor that can make better or worse the quality is the available bandwith (bitrate). thats why i wanted to know if it could be a mix mode between
Quick sync and some other encoding method just to reduce the huge uploading needs.
I play Guild Wars 2 and its heavy in CPU and GPU and also its a game with fast motion,dodging etc.. Quick Sync even at 5k bitrate becomes very fuzzy with many pixels at fast motions scenes. and i need to save some cpu cause my 2600k at 4000mhz strain too much and have performance spikes while streaming with x264. in game and in stream.

Kharay

Actually, I would highly advise against such a setup; as neither process is lossless you would be faced with a double loss of quality. Completing voiding the point of that initial first pass (your QuickSync 10k example) being such a high bitrate.

I would suggest just going with x264 and OpenCL and balancing the load between CPU and GPU more evenly like that.

Regarding GW2 specifically -- Just don't bother streaming it. I have tried and in spite of spending hours and hours and hours coming up with just the correct combination of settings I can't get it looking 90% game like. It looks acceptable, even on my aging hardware but... not something I'd be proud of streaming. Some titles are just annoying like that; Minecraft is equally challenging to get looking just right. Whereas DOTA2 is a walk in the park, for example.

Bensam123

Search the forums for lan encoding. I've made a few threads as well as there one being on the suggestion page right now being discussed. It addresses issues you're talking about by using a second PC for the majority of the encoding, removing it at the same time as well as keeping your performance gain with quicksync.