Quicksync/VCE/NVENC support in the works right now?

Rofalot

Hey I was just searching through the Mantis bug tracker for OBS Multiplatform (or OBS Studio) and found this issue:

https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=280

It was recently assigned to someone. Does that mean that it's actively being worked on or do people generally have a large amount of issues assigned to them at any given time?

Either way, I'm super excited. This is the one missing feature that keeps OBS from becoming the end-all-be-all of all streaming/recording applications...actually one more thing: the ability to pause recordings instead of stopping and starting, resulting in multiple video files, but that's another topic for a different thread.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Not sure if it will be in the next version already, but yea, support for the Media Foundation H264 encoder is being added. Its probably not full support of all features but it will probably allow us to use qs/nvenc and vce with OBS-MP. It might later be replaced by native support.

AndehX

Yes! This is literally the only thing keeping me from using OBS MP. I need quicksync when streaming PC games.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but you guys work on OBS, not me, so what do I know :P
But will it ever be possible to get x264 like encoding on the iGPU? or will the iGPU always be limited to quicksync encoding?

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Note that that is for the Media Foundation versions of those encoders. The MF version of QuickSync works pretty well, but NVENC and VCE don't apply CBR padding correctly and will thus only be useful for local recording. Other versions of those encoders will still be investigated.

Note that that is for the Media Foundation versions of those encoders. The MF version of QuickSync works pretty well, but NVENC and VCE don't apply CBR padding correctly and will thus only be useful for local recording. Other versions of those encoders will still be investigated.
That's ok, my intent is to
- stream at 720p using x264 for superior "quality per bitrate"
- record locally (actually to my 8TB NAS using Gigabit network) at 1080p throwing as many bits under the bus as it takes (I can fall back to an SSD if the network can't take it) as long as CPU usage stays down.

Osiris

Remember that if you want to use NVENC in obs-mp on Windows, it's only available on Windows 10 at the moment.

Ah, Seems I won't need Win10 after all... I don't have an Nvidia Card! I do have an i5 and a Radeon 7850. Will there be a minimum version of Radeon needed?