Question re optimal settings

einfeldt

Hi there, OBS aficionados; would you be able to help me with some basic OBS settings? Am I doing this right? Thanks in advance for your review!

I am running OBS on Ubuntu 20.04. The machine is a Toshiba Satellite p55w-c with 12 GB of RAM, running an Intel i7-5500U processor with 2 cores and 4 threads. The machine had been running OBS with Windows Pro 10 and the Sorayuki plugin and streaming just fine across fb and youtube simultaneously. I installed Ubuntu 20.04, then OBS with the Sorayuki plugin, but in the process blew away my pre-existing OBS settings without having documented the OBS settings I had when I was running it on Windows Pro 10. I am now back to streaming to fb and youtube, but now the video is lagging behind the audio by about .25 seconds or so. I am in the process of finding the right amount of audio delay to match the video delay; I know how to do that. But is the sync issue fixable by some other mechanism whereby I could just make OBS run better?

In the OBS settings menu under the video tab, I have the base (canvas) video resolution set at 1280 x 720, with an aspect ratio of 16.9. The output (scaled) resolution is 852 x 480, with an aspect ratio of 71:40. The downscale filter is set at bicubic (sharpened scaling, 16 samples). The common FPS values is 10.

In the OBS settings menu under the output tab, I have the output mode as advanced. In the encoder field, I had to choose x264, because the only other option was FFMPEG VAAPI, but when I chose that FFMPEG VAAPI option, I got an error message from OBS saying that "starting the output failed." The rescale output is CBR. The bitrate is 2500 kbps.The CPU usage preset is veryfast.

Thanks very much for any help in addressing this problem.