Question on licensing

Jens Trummer

Hello, I work with a company that plans to record automated executions of test cases, and OBS would be the ideal tool.
However, according to our legal policies - we are not able to use 3rd parties with GPL license ...
Does anybody know if there is a way that we could use OBS under other licensing terms - like MIT, Apache or BSD? Is there anybody at OBS I could contact directly to take up this thread?
Many thanks in advance

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
What do you mean by "use"? Are you developing something that links against OBS libraries? Or are you just using OBS to record things?

If you're developing custom software using OBS libraries, you must abide by the GPL -- no exceptions. But if you're just using OBS to record a video, the license does not limit what things you can use it for. The license covers OBS code, but doesn't say anything about what you're allowed to actually use the program for, as long as you don't modify the code.

zde82904

Hello, I work with a company that plans to record automated executions of test cases, and OBS would be the ideal tool.
However, according to our legal policies - we are not able to use 3rd parties with GPL license ...
Does anybody know if there is a way that we could use OBS under other licensing terms - like MIT, Apache or BSD? Is there anybody at OBS I could contact directly to take up this thread?
Many thanks in advance
I can definitely see where @dodgepong is coming from. And I dont even know what a GPL is lmao