PvP/Gaming Kill Counter Overlay Plugin

I use OBS for my PC streaming and some games I like to have a overlay of my Kills in PvP type games. But the issue i have is having to edit the kill count every kill and comes a hassle when you get a few kills in a row because you have to rely on your viewers to keep track. The overlay would allow the stream to have a hotkey set to add/remove 1 point to the counter quick and swiftly.

Anyways, I know OBS is working on other features for the program but will we ever see addons/plugins like this developed for the program for overlays and whatnot or does anyone know of a 3rd party program that will allow me to hotkey a kill to show on my stream

Vaughn

NOTE: Not sure if i should of posted this http://obsproject.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22 or http://obsproject.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10. Sorry to clog up the forums with requests like this

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Well i found this for the time being http://sourceforge.net/projects/mytallycounter/
but it would be nice to add this later on as a plugin.

ThoNohT

Developer
You would ideally want a program to update some text file whenever a global hotkey is pressed. This tally counter app seems to do the trick (using window capture), but does it support hotkeys too?

It shouldn't be too hard for someone to create a small program that allows you to set a hotkey to increment and decrement a counter, and to have it update a text file every time the counter changes. I'm not sure if this'll be part of OBS any time soon. As even as a plugin, it'd require the entire functionality of the current text source. And if it writes to a file in stead of directly displaying it, then its functionality is completely detached from OBS and could just as well be created in a separate application.

ThoNohT said:
You would ideally want a program to update some text file whenever a global hotkey is pressed. This tally counter app seems to do the trick (using window capture), but does it support hotkeys too?

It shouldn't be too hard for someone to create a small program that allows you to set a hotkey to increment and decrement a counter, and to have it update a text file every time the counter changes. I'm not sure if this'll be part of OBS any time soon. As even as a plugin, it'd require the entire functionality of the current text source. And if it writes to a file in stead of directly displaying it, then its functionality is completely detached from OBS and could just as well be created in a separate application.
The program i did link is a java based .jar file and does not support a hotkey so that is the downside of it but it does have bigger minus/plus buttons so it is easy to click really quick.

My coding and scripting is very very basic and wouldn't even know where to begin on adding a bind for hotkeys with a simple program like that.

Vaughn

ThoNohT

Developer
I know, but especially when in a fullscreen game, you would have to alt tab out and back in of the game just to increment that thing once. I wasn't suggesting you should do it. My main point was that this is probably not plugin or feature material, but more likely something that is best handled by a separate program.

I personally could do this if I found some time, which I cannot promise. There are some other, though more complicated things I am planning to look into first. But there are quite a few other capable coders around this forum who might also feel like taking this up. It really shouldn't be too much work.

SupahNoob

I'm working this very thing in AHK at the moment, I can send you the script / exe when I'm done. I'm thinking of a few different ways of how to achieve it and will update you on this if I don't get too frustrated. :)

(Yes, global hotkey, yes, interactive +1 -1 counter.) <3

ed// Sofar, no dice for what I want to do.

SupahNoob said:
I'm working this very thing in AHK at the moment, I can send you the script / exe when I'm done. I'm thinking of a few different ways of how to achieve it and will update you on this if I don't get too frustrated. :)

(Yes, global hotkey, yes, interactive +1 -1 counter.) <3

ed// Sofar, no dice for what I want to do.
take your time man, I really appreciate your help!