PTZOptics Camera in OBS

browncoatgraham

I have a PTZOptics Camera; it is functioning, yet no picture through OBS for YouTube streaming for our church. We removed the camera from OBS now when we try to add it back we still have no video through OBS.

Lawrence_SoCal

Have you called PTZOptics tech support?
Have you successfully added any Live Video source into OBS before?
Sorry your description doesn't really indicate much to help with
My standard recommendation is to make sure the camera video feed is working outside OBS (ie to the Operating System) first, only then add to OBS. Seeing a video feed via the cameras web interface doesn't count. A visible video on the cameras web interface (assuming IP connected) means camera working, BUT not that video feed to computer setup.
Which video connection are you using, anyway- NDI, HDMI, SDI, USB?

Urbanian

I have a similar issue, I think. We've been streaming our church services using OBS (to Zoom) for a couple of months now. To date, it's just been HDMI from a camera plus recorded videos. We just received our first (of several planned) PTZOptics PTZ camera (30x, can't say exact model) that we want to use in addition. (With a rather convoluted arrangement for audio.) The idea will be to switch between cameras when one is panning, but mostly want to use the much better lens of the PTZOptics camera.

The "NDI Video Monitor" app can see the camera just fine.

The PTZOptics Camera Controller plugin for OBS can control the camera.

But the OBS NDI source doesn't see the camera; nothing shows up in the "Source name" drop-down. I tried accessing the camera using RTSP, and that works, but there's a very substantial delay (at least a second), so that's not acceptable. (I hope we won't see the same with NDI. If so we'll have to deal with it.)

(I did, as an early experiment, set up a Raspberry Pi 4 to send NDI from its camera. Very limited capability, but I was able to capture it in OBS. That was several months ago, though.)

I talked to PTZOptics support on 12/3/21. They had me reinstall everything (except OBS itself), add the camera in NDI Access Manager, and reboot. Nothing worked. Finally they said I should upgrade to Monterey from Big Sur, because "There are discovery issues in Big Sur." That, of course, took a while. I tried again today. No improvement.

And everything works on a PC laptop (someone else's, I'm using my own), but said PC doesn't have the horsepower to do all that we need to do.

I feel like I must have some setting wrong, somewhere. I'll try PTZOptics next week, but maybe someone has a suggestion?

My configuration:
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2018 (so not the latest, but has been handling OBS just fine)
OBS Studio 27.1.3
obs-ndi-4.9.0-macOS
ptzoptics-obs24.0
I even have firewall disabled, just in case that was it.

Lawrence_SoCal

RTSP lag can be (relatively) significant, one of the main points of NDI is the lower latency
Hopefully you are aware of the challenge of mixing video feed types due to varying latency.. ie, expect a challenge if you mix your prior HDMI via capture card video fee and NDI over network. The latencies won't match, and getting them to can be 'fun [/full sarcasm]

If you can see NDI inputs on PC OBS, then you know issue isn't camera nor network. However, are you sure same network? vs WiFi with unique settings (like Client Isolation)? Hopefully you are using a dock or adapter and wired Ethernet on macbook, and confirmed on same IP subnet vs PC laptop

Urbanian

RTSP lag can be (relatively) significant, one of the main points of NDI is the lower latency
Hopefully you are aware of the challenge of mixing video feed types due to varying latency.. ie, expect a challenge if you mix your prior HDMI via capture card video fee and NDI over network. The latencies won't match, and getting them to can be 'fun [/full sarcasm]

If you can see NDI inputs on PC OBS, then you know issue isn't camera nor network. However, are you sure same network? vs WiFi with unique settings (like Client Isolation)? Hopefully you are using a dock or adapter and wired Ethernet on macbook, and confirmed on same IP subnet vs PC laptop

Yes, we're aware that lag is something we'll have to deal with, even with NDI. Whether we still use the current video camera over HDMI once we have multiple NDI PTZ cameras, I can't say. It would probably only be special situations. The lens on that camera isn't great so we wouldn't use it normally.

I wasn't aware of RSTP's greater lag, but was only trying it to verify that there was a connection to the camera.

Everything is going through the same router, No WiFi is involved.

What's frustrating is that the NDI Video Monitor application can see the camera (and get video from it) just fine, but the OBS NDI Source can't. What's different? Could there be some kind of permissions issue somewhere?

Urbanian

Aha! Something to check if anyone else runs into this. My first call to PTZOptics tech support and me check versions and reinstall a bunch of things, with no effect. Finally they said I should upgrade to Monterey, because "Big Sur has some problems with discovery." I did the upgrade. It didn't help. And then it was the weekend.

Today's call to PTZOptics had me check the camera's firmware version, and it turned out our brand new, delivered last week, 30x camera had pretty old firmware. It didn't support NDI4, and the Mac OBS NDI scene support needs NDI4.

With firmware updated, it now works like a charm!