Question / Help PTZ Control for Axis Camera ...

RCPWisc

Hi everyone: I'm trying to figure out if I can use the PTZ controls for an Axis v5915 camera with OBS. Does the PTZOptics plugin work for multiple brands of cameras? Would there be another way to use the PTZ controls? We have an Axis joystick tha works via USB. We can use the PTZ through the camera's web interface, but it would be far more convenient to use the controls directly in OBS. Thanks for the help!

Tarumes

You can make a custom panel
View --> Docks --> Custom Browser Docks...
Add the URL to WebUI Controlls for PTZ

Homer911

Homer911

After a lot of trial and error , things of course turned out a lot more simple in the end. Sharing some notes here in case its of help to someone else - all related to our use of an AXIS v5925 and OBS Studio on a well spec'd PC. There are probably better ways to do this so feedback welcome
  • Installed AXIS Streaming Assistant
  • Installed AXIS Companion
  • Temporarily disabled the PC firewall (in case it causes a conflict)
  • Made sure the camera firmware is up to date
  • Used AXIS Companion to set the presets - noting the names
  • Opened OBS Studio and added a Scene
  • In the scene, added a source of Video Capture Device - this should immediately display the home position of the camera
  • There is no OBS plugin for AXIS cameras as far as I could find. I created a basic html file and embedded the URLs containing the VAPIX calls - eg http://<userid>:<password>@<camera name or IP Address>/axis-cgi/com/ptz.cgi?gotoserverpresetname=Pulpit
  • I added extra entries for relative pan left/right, tilt up/down, zoom in/out
  • I created a custom dock which referenced the html file
  • I docked the custom dock into the lower screen controls
  • Image1.jpg

Lawrence_SoCal

• In the scene, added a source of Video Capture Device - this should immediately display the home position of the camera

uh, something missing as No, adding Video Capture device won't auto add camera
UNLESS
Axis Companion (or Streaming Assistant) is basically configured and connecting to camera, and converting that video stream into a something akin to a (if not actually) a virtual USB device
AND
that is your only video source device on that PC

That said, nice job
And posting that Custom dock and associated HTML to the Resource section (if you haven't already) would be appreciated by other users

Last edited:

Homer911

Yes, installing Axis Streaming Assistant made the video available as a VCD, no extra configuration needed. There is probably a smarter way to do it without Streaming Assistant but its working fine, so why change it.
I've improved the html since then adding colored buttons, and also options for setting and using two special presets where the standard options aren't sufficient. As its just a single piece of of html, its easy to tweak (attached).
Please note this uses the VAPIX protocol/command set which is probably proprietary to Axis, but the html could be customized for other PTZ cameras.
I prefer this text-based approach as the use of this software will be shared and the users wont need a guide. I'm sure it can be tidied up a bit more.
Image1.png

Attachments

• presets.zip
    1 KB · Views: 123

Homer911

Just in case anyone comes across this thread again, Axis Streaming Assistant does not work with Windows Secure Boot enabled

Fbosman

Bitfocus/companion has the control for Axis-camera's embedded, as well as many other cam's, daw's, and OBS and many more.
You can setup a browser dock in Obs if needed.
For the video you can use a standard rtsp feed into OBS, no tricks needed

Homer911

I found RTSP to deliver lag and poor quality

I found RTSP to deliver lag and poor quality
if tsp delivers lagging and poor quality, consider using gstreamer as input source. used it for a year or so, very stable, predictable lag, no quality issues .. search in this forum for gstreamer .