Procedure entry point IsWow64Process2 could not be located...Obs won't start

MarkOakley

I found a solution.

1. Install any hex editor.
2. Make a copy of (for safety) ....\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs.dll and name obs_bkp.dll
3. open the file obs.dll in hex-editor.
4. Search for "IsWow64Process2" (search as ASCII, case sensitive)
5. Select the number 2 in IsWow64Process2 and replace it hex 32 with 00
View attachment 90592
6. Save the obs.dll file

OBS started, but I can't guarantee that everything works.
I have not tested all functions. I only found a solution to get OBS to start.

I am asking the OBS community to look into this issue.
This works. -The relevant line wasn't at 000b86e0. I just searched for "IsWow64Process" and found it that way. Then changed 32 to 00 and saved. OBS started properly after that. (I'm also one of those who runs a locked down Windows 10. -During a recording session, you simply can't have anybody, especially not Redmond, randomly taxing your computer resources. I froze Windows 10 at version 1703 and it's great! Photoshop works properly with a stylus in that version.)

Anyway, thank-you for the fix.

AaronD

I froze Windows 10 at version 1703 and it's great! Photoshop works properly with a stylus in that version.)
Sure, what already works won't break when you stop updating, but those who study the updates get a pretty good roadmap for how to break into it.

There's nothing wrong with using outdated systems - in fact it might be required because you still need a tool that the creators abandoned years ago - but you should be extremely careful about EVER letting it see the internet.

Even air-gapping might not necessarily be enough (remember STUXNET?), so you need to be careful about that too. Not to say you can't download stuff to a flash drive and "sneakernet" it to that machine, but make sure that you KNOW it's clean first.

koala

There's nothing wrong with using outdated systems
I don't agree, not at all. Very strongly disagree.
The more outdated your system, the more time you spend with fixing things and make new things work with your outdated system. This thread is the perfect example for this. A horrible workaround that makes you spend time and actually breaks stuff, because patching obs makes its digital signature invalid.

You waste time you better spend with being more productive with new features up to date systems provide over outdated systems. This is because developers usually add features most requested by the users and fix bugs most annoying to users. If you continue to use outdated systems, you ignore these improvements and constantly miss these features that are added in newer versions and are annoyed by the same bugs that are gone in newer versions.

Always use the current version of everything. Current version, current patch, current update. Only in one single case you use the previous version: if there is an incompatibility with 3rd party software that's about to be fixed by either the 3rd party author or the app author soon. If it's fixed, you update. If it takes too long or will not be fixed, find alternative 3rd party software with similar functionality, replace the 3rd party software, then update. But don't keep and tend outdated software.

Suslik V

...This thread is the perfect example for this. A horrible workaround that makes you spend time and actually breaks stuff, because patching obs makes its digital signature invalid.
Fun fact.
This thread appeared only because of another attempt to simplify support...

For users.
Who uses "frozen" systems rarely updates its software. It's a basic rule. You had step aside of this rule - you ends here. Better to have known issues and workaround them, rather than to step into uncharted lands. OBS Studio is not an exception.