Question / Help problem with usb headphone/mic configuration

mindhumble

I have just bought a audio jack to usb adapter, which allows me to plug in my headphone and mic jacks into the adapter and then connect the usb to the laptop. however i cant work out how to configure the obs to record this mic input, and record the output audio of the laptop. i managed to fiddle around with the settings but they seem to get messed up if i unplug the usb and want to record from the inbuilt mic of the laptop. furthermore, when i then replug in the usb (with the mic and headphones jacks in it) for some reason it doesnt react to the headphones mic anymore. im very confused, could someone give me a straightforward way to set this up please! thank you

Sichvot

Not completely sure if I got what you are saying correctly.. however, I will give this a shot..

As straight forward as I think I can make it..
1. Keep USB sound card in with devices attached.
2. Right Click the Windows speaker icon in the system tray.
3. Set your laptop speakers as default playback
4. In OBS.. Settings.. Audio.. Set Desktop Audio Device as your Laptop speakers.
Set Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device to your USB Sound card
Set Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device 2 to your Laptop Mic

(You could set OBS to listen to your headset's speakers as well using the same idea)

This setup will tell OBS to record audio from your laptop's speakers, your headset's mic and your laptop's mic all at once without removing your USB device. However, I should also state that if you want to record from one mic at a time, you will have to mute the other in OBS. Easiest way for this I feel would be to set up Hotkey's in OBS to mute one mic and unmute the other with the same key.

OBS.. Settings.. Hotkeys.. Scroll down to the audio section.. Use the + button to add additional keys to the same action.

Hopefully this was easy enough to understand or at least set you on the right track to solve your issue.

mindhumble

Thank you so much for your help. I think it has helped me out, but i still think i am missing something. i set up as you instructed, but when i record i look at the 3 volume bars at the bottom of the obs client, and the desktop audio doesnt react at all, but the mic/aux seems to react to the laptop sounds, and the mic/aux 2 bar reacts to my talking, and i get the feeling that it is the laptop mic which it is reacting to. so i right clicked one of these bars and selected advanced audio properties, and in the "audio monitoring" column it has: for desktop audio - monitor only (mute output) for mic/aux it has monitor and output, and for mic/aux 2 it has monitor off. to be honest im not even sure what monitor is referring to but i feel that this may be part of the issue. maybe you have some insight?