Problem with audio not being played on a specific scene

VinSenneth

Hello, I ran into a problem that happened when I was switching out a song in my sources as a media file for my starting soon scene. I noticed it happened when switching out the song and all of a sudden I couldn't monitor the song, yet it was still being output. I could see the mixer working and everything, but I couldn't hear it on my end. I tried switching scenes and going back to my starting soon to see if other scenes with a media mp3 was doing the same thing, and oddly enough it's ONLY for this Starting Soon scene. The only "fix" I have found is that I need to go into the advanced audio properties and manually change the monitoring to anything else and back to what it should be doing anyways since I typically leave this scene's audio on monitor and output. As soon as I switch or come back to OBS after opening it up again the problem still persists. I'm not sure if this was because of a recent update, but it only happened within these passed maybe 2 weeks and I cannot get it back to working normally. Also my PC is literally brand new and not even a month old yet. Any solutions, or ideas? If you need me to provide anything, I will do my best to do so!

Bernd Uhlmann

Does your audio file have an image attached (MP3-Tag cover image)? This causes the problem.
This defect existed in earlier OBS version, but in an interim version it apparently was fixed. Now the problem is back. I tested the issue with different MP3 audio files. I suspect, but have not tested audio file formats other than MP3.

This appears to be a defect with the OBS Media Player. The defect occurs when using the Media Player with a local MP3 audio file. I understand that this is using the “ffmpeg” media player.

Typically, you will load a local audio file to OBS as a “Media Source”. If you also want to listen/monitor the audio source, you need to enable monitoring via a windows output device using OBS “Advanced Audio Setting” (in Audio Mixer click on the source’s 3-dots)

Important: Everything works as intended if the audio file have NO cover image (i.e. MP3-Tag ID3 frame 'PIC' or 'APIC'). MP3 Tags can be edited, and images removed using Mp3tag.exe https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ .

Any MP3 file with a cover image Tag causes a set of issues:

The song starts normally and continues until one of the following occurs:
  • If the scene is briefly changed AND if the source property “Restart playback when source becomes active” is ticked, then, after returning to the scene with the song, the song will no longer be monitored.
  • If the end of the song is reached. If the song is supposed to loop, it will loop, but it will not be monitored for the first single looping.
  • If you interfere with the source via the media control, i.e. by using the media slider in any way, the song will no longer be monitored.
If monitoring the song ended unintentionally due to any of the above issues, it can be manually restarted via
  • “Advanced Audio Setting”, stop monitor and start monitoring again, or
  • Simply hide the Source briefly and unhide the source again.
Strange side effect: monitoring a looping audio source containing a cover image will stop monitoring at the first loop but monitoring will restart by itself after one single unmonitored loop.