Problem with 1440p/144hz DVI & 1080p/60hz monitor mirroring - dual pc setup for streaming

monoespacial

Hey everyone. I've been having this problem since forever, hopefully you can help me figure it out.

Gaming PC has a 1440p/144hz DVI monitor so I need to mirror that to a 1080p/60hz monitor to be able to output the main screen to the Elgato HD60 capture card.

The problem is when mirroring, my 1440p will be throttled to 1080p. I can skirt that by using the NVidia DSR settings to upscale the 1080p monitor. However, some games won't recognize this and be stuck at 1080p60hz. They straight up won't detect the available 1440p resolution.

So what do I need to do? Do I need to get a 1440p monitor? does it have to be 144hz? Do I need a 4k capture card? Both?

At this point I have a proper audience and a solid reputation but my stream quality is ALWAYS a problem. Right now I'm using an NDI setup to get around this but the NDI feed drops frames for some reason.

koala

If you want to play with 1440p/144 Hz and capture this with a capture device, you need a capture device that supports this resolution and Hz, at least for the capture device passthrough jack where you connect the monitor.

You seem to have a Nvidia GPU. So consider a 1 PC streaming solution. Use game capture and Nvenc as encoder. Nvenc with current Nvidia cards is as good as the best x264 settings and has zero CPU impact. Use one monitor to run your game and a companion monitor of arbitrary resolution and fps where you move the OBS window, so you can game and monitor/control OBS on the same machine.
This has probably lower performance impact on your machine than using NDI, if you use OBS+NDI to capture the game on the gaming PC, then send the video data to the streaming PC with a second OBS.

monoespacial

If you want to play with 1440p/144 Hz and capture this with a capture device, you need a capture device that supports this resolution and Hz, at least for the capture device passthrough jack where you connect the monitor.

You seem to have a Nvidia GPU. So consider a 1 PC streaming solution. Use game capture and Nvenc as encoder. Nvenc with current Nvidia cards is as good as the best x264 settings and has zero CPU impact. Use one monitor to run your game and a companion monitor of arbitrary resolution and fps where you move the OBS window, so you can game and monitor/control OBS on the same machine.
This has probably lower performance impact on your machine than using NDI, if you use OBS+NDI to capture the game on the gaming PC, then send the video data to the streaming PC with a second OBS.

I've the 1 PC setup, but when I try to also record (without the stream overlay), the recording stutters a whole lot.