Private RTMP server (preconfigured virtualbox image)

I made a version 1.1 that is essentially the same as the original post of this thread. It has the JWPlayer site set up. The main difference is this is made on Debian and is command-line only (it makes it smaller and uses less memory). The other difference is there is a line commented out in the nginx configuration that you can uncomment if you want the VM to perform the video encoding work instead of OBS. If you uncomment that line, you should comment out the currently applied command. There is another spot in the configuration that is commented out that enables broadcasting to Twitch. If anyone would like clarity, I can make screen shots.

The default IP address of this machine is 192.168.1.123. It will use that unless something else on your network is already using it.

OBS broadcast settings:
rtmp://192.168.1.123/transcode
key: pass

Flash player website:
http://192.168.1.123/stream

RTMP URL (for VLC, SMPlayer, or MX Player (Android), etc):
rtmp://192.168.1.123/stream/encoded

If you log into the VM as root (password: tides), you will see that I created some shortcut files to help out if you want to change configurations. If you type ls and then Enter, you'll see the list of files including a tips.txt file. To run one of the shortcuts, precede the file name with ./
Example:
./shutdown.sh

And finally, here is the new download link:
EDIT: Newer version! Please read page 3 of this thread for more information.
https://mega.co.nz/#!hAEFkIRZ!d46J0ECiIuVwgTsO9SIMCASAk5ahvEO6eG_cj9AWRY0

Last edited:

Lej said:
014 said:
I made a version 1.1 ...

Where do you find the webpage shown at http://192.168.1.123/stream using your version?
I would like to customize it.
You will want to edit the files in /usr/local/nginx/html/stream, mainly index.html

Fenrir said:
014 said:

Any chance you can upload somewhere else or reupload? Bandwidth limit exceeded, can't download.
I will upload a version 1.2 that has the cron job fixed that I mentioned. I'll search around to find another place to host the file. Mediafire says that the original version was downloaded 25 times and version 1.1 was 47 times.

Version 1.2 has been uploaded to MEGA.

Changes:
-Added "@reboot /root/startstream.sh" to cron so that the streaming service starts automatically at boot.
-Added the stopstream.sh script inside of the shutdown.sh script so that the streaming service is stopped nicely before the system is shut down.
-Performed operating system updates to prevent the system from being 1-2 months behind right off the bat.
-Fixed a typo in the tips.txt file
-Removed the white horizontal line from the bottom of the streaming web page.
-Removed touchpad support from the VirtualBox system settings.
-Changed the system memory from 512 MB to 1,024 MB in the VirtualBox system settings. This was due to my experience using the system the past couple of months. Feel free to adjust any of the VirtualBox system settings as you wish of course.

I thought I would make clear how I set up the nginx configuration.
inLx3t7TGcUPl.png

This file is /usr/local/nginx/html/stream/index.html. If you want your website available to the internet, you will need access to public and private DNS. That is to say a domain name like http://www.mystreamingsite.com, for example, that points to your public internet IP address. (Click here to find out what it is.) Once you have that, you need to make your private network resolve the http://www.mystreamingsite.com address to the 192.168.1.123 private address. If you need more clarity, let me know.
iP3UvumWcR9l7.png

petrichbg said:
i test in VM but ... can u tell me what user and pass to use !!!

i want to logon in ..
Yes. Sorry; that information was in an earlier post from January 29th. The password for the root user is tides.

jennifer2010

"Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Can't download the file :(

Also, steps 2 and 5 are missing the settings pictures.

Senshin

The last update Debian with Nginx is awesome, I am working with this one flawless and also can stream using 2 computers without any problems (without capturecard)

The last update Debian with Nginx is awesome, I am working with this one flawless and also can stream using 2 computers without any problems (without capturecard)
Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to message me regarding the setup I created since I only come back to check on this forum every month or so.

no1pubber

Hi guys hope someone can help me here. GREAT build i am Loving nginx. just a few things i would like to get out of it that i can't do at the moment. i would like to use play_on authorisation to protect stream or something like it. i would also like to see who is connected i thought it was access log but can't seem to find it to see it. i'm probably missing something.. I would also like to add multiple streams to the jw player. i know it's possible i've seen it in a thread somewhere on the net but i can't find it again.. hope one of you beautiful geniuses can help
Thanks again for all your hard work

I'm not the owner of the thread, but IMO this should be in a new thread. The preconfigured virtual machines are working as intended with a generic configuration that works for the majority. I like your ideas and will probably try to assist, but it deserves its own topic.

no1pubber

I'm not the owner of the thread, but IMO this should be in a new thread. The preconfigured virtual machines are working as intended with a generic configuration that works for the majority. I like your ideas and will probably try to assist, but it deserves its own topic.
Thanks i agree working as intended and brilliantly may i add. i would really appreciate your help if thats possible. I will start a new thread thanks.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
You would have to set up several ffmpeg encoders, one for each resolution, then you need the procesing power to encode them at the same time, and you need to find a way to combine them into one stream using a flash player which then offers you the option to select the resolution.

You can also do above but use separate web pages for each resolution. I did that to create a lower quality stream for someone that had a slow internet connection.

And yet another option is to output your stream as high bitrate as possible to a third party that will encode it into multiple qualities, like YouTube and Twitch have available. This option is not free.

so..after I edited the nginx config on this 1.2.7 version, how do I save the changes to it? (I'm not used to work with terminal commands.