Preset Slider

Boildown

Its always a textual tongue twister to describe to people what preset to use, and which way to move it. For example: "Move your preset to something slower, like Fast, to improve quality."

Can we instead have a slider bar that moves left to right, with notches for each preset Ultra Fast through Very Slow, with the default of Very Fast clearly marked? That way we can say, "Move your preset bar back to the left to the default of Very Fast, your CPU can't handle anything to the right of that." I hope you get the idea.

The slider could also change based on which encoder is being used. x264 as described above, if QSV is checked, it does 1-7, and if NVENC is checked, it changes between High Quality, High Performance, Blu Ray, Low Latency, etc.

dacoder

Boildown said:
Its always a textual tongue twister to describe to people what preset to use, and which way to move it. For example: "Move your preset to something slower, like Fast, to improve quality."

Can we instead have a slider bar that moves left to right, with notches for each preset Ultra Fast through Very Slow, with the default of Very Fast clearly marked? That way we can say, "Move your preset bar back to the left to the default of Very Fast, your CPU can't handle anything to the right of that." I hope you get the idea.

The slider could also change based on which encoder is being used. x264 as described above, if QSV is checked, it does 1-7, and if NVENC is checked, it changes between High Quality, High Performance, Blu Ray, Low Latency, etc.

I think (from a user's perspective) that you should just switch the words themselves. Have what ever selector you need in encoding tab, (could still use slider). BTW, why is that even in advanced? I suggest the terms: lower : low : medium : high : higher : intense. Since it is a game streaming community, they would understand this.

Boildown

dacoder said:
I think (from a user's perspective) that you should just switch the words themselves. Have what ever selector you need in encoding tab, (could still use slider). BTW, why is that even in advanced? I suggest the terms: lower : low : medium : high : higher : intense. Since it is a game streaming community, they would understand this.
The problem with this is that the words Slow, Fast, UltraFast, etc, are what they're called in the actual x264 encoder. Hopefully in x265 they do something different, but I don't think changing the wording in OBS is a good idea because it would make it difficult to know which x264 preset is being used, especially for anyone familiar with x264 but unfamiliar with OBS.

UberDragon

Well, at least the tool tip could be more clear. Or maybe it already is and its just me feeling it could be improved

Maybe even give it it's own little "?" button right next to it. That might get more attention than the mouse over tooltip.

iotku

dacoder said:
BTW, why is that even in advanced?

VeryFast is good enough quality for nearly everyone and isn't crazy CPU intensive in most cases (compared to the slower presets). It shouldn't be touched unless you know how it's going to affect you.

Not as big of an issue when using a capture card (higher CPU usage wouldn't necessarily be an issue) as you could just go to a faster preset that your system could handle. I imagine there being an issue of people not knowing about the setting and murdering the games or whatever they're livestreaming by having too slow of a preset and not knowing it.