Premiere Pro can't handle my OBS recordings?

xXBeberXx

Am I recording wrong?
Every time I record something from OBS, I have nightmares with trying to edit that footage on Premiere Pro. Every cross effect I add (even something as simple as cross-fade) between these recordings causes the playback to stutter like hell, and I'm talking about 1080p recordings at 12,000 Kbps bit rate and at 60FPS. Not 4k or anything like that. At first I thought it's my CPU that's causing the bottleneck. Here's My rig:
i5-8400 2.80Ghz
32 GB Ram DDR4
RTX 2060 6GB VRAM
Windows 10
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB NVMe M.2 2280 SSD

But then I got a monster computer from work;
MacBook Pro 2019
i9- 8 Cores 2.4Ghz
64GB Ram DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB VRAM

And the same thing happens with the same footage.
At this point I'm starting to wonder if I'm recording footage that's unnecessarily "breaking" my CPU or GPU, as this happens only with OBS footage, and not other videos.

These are the settings I use for recordings, and I mainly record stuff from Youtube or Gameplay using Desktop Capture;

111.png

222.png

Thanks!

FerretBomb

Don't record directly to MP4. It is NOT a recording-safe format, and Premiere is well-known to throw a tantrum with direct-recorded mp4 files from OBS.

Record to MKV (which IS a recording-safe format) and then Remux the files to mp4 from the File menu, Remux Recordings. You can set it up in Settings->Advanced to automatically remux recordings to mp4 when they've been completed; it only takes a few seconds to process each since it's just a repackage of the same videostream, not a re-encoding.

xXBeberXx

Don't record directly to MP4. It is NOT a recording-safe format, and Premiere is well-known to throw a tantrum with direct-recorded mp4 files from OBS.

Record to MKV (which IS a recording-safe format) and then Remux the files to mp4 from the File menu, Remux Recordings. You can set it up in Settings->Advanced to automatically remux recordings to mp4 when they've been completed; it only takes a few seconds to process each since it's just a repackage of the same videostream, not a re-encoding.
So, you think that's the issue? Nothing wrong with my settings?

FerretBomb

So, you think that's the issue? Nothing wrong with my settings?
Honestly I didn't look at your settings, as it's a well-known problem. There's an orange 'warning: do not record to MP4' message that pops up underneath it for a reason, that no one ever reads.

You're using CBR for recording, which shouldn't be done; swap to CQP or CRF, it's an image-quality target based encode. When you're recording to a local disk, you don't have to worry about the bitrate bottleneck that streaming has to live with, or the streaming server infrastructure that necessitates CBR.
I'd also disable Lookahead and Psychovisual Tuning; both of them use CUDA cores, and from my experience just add extra load for very minimal gains.

xXBeberXx

Honestly I didn't look at your settings, as it's a well-known problem. There's an orange 'warning: do not record to MP4' message that pops up underneath it for a reason, that no one ever reads.

You're using CBR for recording, which shouldn't be done; swap to CQP or CRF, it's an image-quality target based encode. When you're recording to a local disk, you don't have to worry about the bitrate bottleneck that streaming has to live with, or the streaming server infrastructure that necessitates CBR.
I'd also disable Lookahead and Psychovisual Tuning; both of them use CUDA cores, and from my experience just add extra load for very minimal gains.
Thank you very much! I'll try all that you've recommended!

xXBeberXx

So, I tried what you said; changed to MKV (+automatic remuxing to mp4), changed the rate control to CQP (CQ level at 15), preset on Quality, profile on "main" and I checked off look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning.The end result is... Not good. I think it's even worst than before. Every "transition" effect I add on premiere makes my computer cry and chug during playback.
I have no idea what's going on :(

rockbottom

Check Premier settings, is your GPU or CPU doing the video decoding?

You should also be able to adjust (lower) the Preview Quality settings in Premier as well.