Question / Help Powerpoint Slideshow

Raju

I Installed OBS studio 18.0.1 on windows 10 x64.
Now i would like to add source Powerpoint slideshow but its showing main page only. when iam changing the slide its not changing. Using office 2016.
Please help...

What do you mean with "main page"? The first slide in the fullscreen presentation or the powerpoint application window itself where you can see all pages during the presentation? If powerpoint is starting a second process as fullscreen application, choose that to capture it. Otherwise record the entire screen which should capture the presentation as well.

Raju

Thanks for reply.
Its showing first slide only. Even if i change to next slide its not changing. Some times its showing application window.
I am adding source as Slideshow only.
On other windows 10 machine its working perfectly.

What i need to check in this machine..
For windows 10 box i connected two monitors (to VGA and DVI ports)

Alright, I think ruling out some variables is a good idea here, since we're having a specific soft- and hardware setup.
OK, the next thing I would try is to change the presentation software and see if another one works on your machine. You can try LibreOffice Impress, it's free and easy to use, just for testing purposes. If OBS can caputre the slideshow from Impress, then neither your machine nor OBS itself is the problem, but Powerpoint is. If OBS cannot capture Impress as well, you seem to have a different and deeper lying issue.

Raju

Today i tried with liber impress slideshow also but no luck.
Attached screenshot. Please have look.

Attachments

• Slideshow.png
    Slideshow.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,109
  • Slideshow.png
    Slideshow.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 945
Are you using a Windows 7 theme on Windows 10?
Anyway, your screenshot is not even showing the first slide like you mentioned before. Don't choose the application itself as a source, choose the monitor where the slideshow happens instead.

Raju

No, I installed fresh copy of windows 7 and tried slideshow.
On the other Windows7 and 10 PCs (testingwith single monitor only) its showing perfect as attached screenshot.

Attachments

• OBS_slideshow.png
    OBS_slideshow.png
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,121

harisrinivasan

I was having somewhat of a similar issue, screen was just going white. I saw the solution in a video on YouTube. Basically, as long as the PPT slide show is in full screen mode, OBS does not seem to be picking it. Follow these steps, it worked for me
1. In MS Power Point, go to Setup SlideShow
2. COnfigure it to show the slideshow as a window (in MS Office 2016, the option reads as "Browsed by an individual")
3. Now start slideshow. The Slideshow is now in a smaller window which OBS seems to capture automatically.
4. You can now resize the PPT slide show in OBS to meet your needs.
Hope this helps

StingRay78

I'm having the same issue on two Windows 10 computers. The only problem is we need PowerPoint in full screen mode as it's being projected onto screens. I'm trying to use OBS to capture camera and overlay the PowerPoint using PIP over the video. It sees it PowerPoint, but the slides won't change when PowerPoint does. It's stuck on the main image. Is this a bug? Is someone working on it?

psmith16

I'm brand new to OBS and need to display the speaker and a PPT. I added the display capture as a source but the window is black and no matter what display i choose, the window remains black.

OBSguy89

Within Powerpoint go to:
-Configure Slideshow or Slideshow settings at the top under slideshow tab
-Then under slideshow type - second option to see slideshow in window
-you can then start slideshow to make it fill the window
-in obs you can use "window capture" and select the powerpoint screen -slideshow in playback mode so you can adjust the size of the window captured in the obs appropriately with the size of the slideshow taking up the full screen of the window.

Doing this, you can add more things to capture area with your slideshow like a video of the presenter, titles etc.
Only issue is you have to control the slideshow from your laptop unless...

You have second screen for the person to see the slideshow and control the slideshow with a clicker or whatever
Though
You can't click and manipulate OBS during or it will have OBS as the active window and the presenters clicker will do nothing to their presentation and then things get awkward when they look at you like wtf.

So,, yea.

Solution could be for them to stream their powerpoint presentation in gotomeeting, or fb like etc and then you have a web window open with their presentation, use OBS capture window and place it in your screen with your other stuff - might lead to latency issues, I don't know. I just know OBS is more complicated than I initially thought.

TVPeople

I've conduct training on location in 40 cities a year using PowerPoint. With the Corona Virus scare I am using Facebook Live Groups for my presentations so that participants can avoid public gatherings and be trained form the comfott of their homes or offices. I hoped OBS would make this easy, BUT you cannot advance the various slides in PP unless PowerPoint is displayed full screen. Although the slides will easily display within the OBS program, you cannot advance the slides with the computer keyboard or even with a remote control, unless the PowerPoint host computer is displaying full screen. As soon as you shrink the Powerpoint display, you no longer have the ability to advance the slides. And when you shrink the OBS screen, you loose the ability to use any of the controls in OBS. I've been to several PowerPoint User Group meetings and everyone shares the same issue with OBS, whether they are using laptops or desktops . I realize there is a lot of misinformation on some of the Youtube How-To videos regarding the use of Powerpoint with OBS . I do know of several workarounds using more than one computer. But does anyone have a solution involving the use of just one computer? Thank you in advance for you help.

I'm hoping someone knows. I've just downloaded OBS to do exactly this for exactly the same reasons... well almost... I want to livestream our church service using powerpoint but also video. Thank you for asking the question!

michael-s

I found a workaround. Create your PowerPoint, then upload to Google Slides. Open the presentation from Slides and present. You'll be able to see slide view and also enable speaker notes which you can put on a separate screen. Not perfect, as I'd prefer to just do everything from PowerPoint. But this solution still allows you to author your presentation in PowerPoint and then just use Slides for presenting since it plays nicer with OBS.

Also, I just discovered Streamlabs OBS, which is built on basic OBS but feels more user friendly. Worth a look.

I think the software works pretty perfectly without workarounds. Set up powerpoint as harisrinivasan suggests:

I was having somewhat of a similar issue, screen was just going white. I saw the solution in a video on YouTube. Basically, as long as the PPT slide show is in full screen mode, OBS does not seem to be picking it. Follow these steps, it worked for me
1. In MS Power Point, go to Setup SlideShow
2. COnfigure it to show the slideshow as a window (in MS Office 2016, the option reads as "Browsed by an individual")
3. Now start slideshow. The Slideshow is now in a smaller window which OBS seems to capture automatically.
4. You can now resize the PPT slide show in OBS to meet your needs.
Hope this helps

Then if you go file > settings and go to the hotkeys you can assign hotkeys to starting/stopping recording, pausing/unpausing recording and switching between scenes (among other things). Choose hotkeys that don't interfere with powerpoint itself. When you're recording and have the powerpoint window live, your hotkeys are still read by OBS. So the way I have it set up at the moment, I have OBS on the one half of my screen, the powerpoint presentation window in one quarter of the screen. While I'm going through the powerpoint, I can see what OBS is doing and can see what I'm actually recording.

Reactions: JKK

tmadel

There is also a setting in Powerpoint to show the presentation as Borwsed by an Individual - this allows you to not have to show the presentation in full screen mode. Click on slide show in the menu, then click on Set up Slide Show then choose the Browsed by an individual radio button

sethmoko

I THINK I've done all recommended here but no options show up in OBS "display capture." Any ideas what I Might be doing wrong?

I think the software works pretty perfectly without workarounds. Set up powerpoint as harisrinivasan suggests:

Then if you go file > settings and go to the hotkeys you can assign hotkeys to starting/stopping recording, pausing/unpausing recording and switching between scenes (among other things). Choose hotkeys that don't interfere with powerpoint itself. When you're recording and have the powerpoint window live, your hotkeys are still read by OBS. So the way I have it set up at the moment, I have OBS on the one half of my screen, the powerpoint presentation window in one quarter of the screen. While I'm going through the powerpoint, I can see what OBS is doing and can see what I'm actually recording.