Resource icon

Free Post Production Tools You can Use

c3r1c3

(I've updated it a few times since my last post, but the below is my most recent update)

Updated 2018-12-26:
Removed Reaper from the DAW list (no need to have a paid program with all the free ones listed/added).
Added LMMS to the DAW list (special thanks to Juest for reminding me about this program).
Added Cubase LE and SONAR/Cakewalk to the DAW list (special thanks to Juest for letting me know about these free additions).
Added some notes about Resolve/Fusion to their respective entries.

want2stream

I need to merge two video clips and make them one long video clip. Is there any software which will do that? I tried OpenShot but it's interface is complicated and when I exported it was taking forever.

What free software can do this without downgrading the video? Thanks

Suslik V

About a year I dig into the mentioned OpenShot program. Right into the code... (later I was blocked from the source, so, please, look at this post with scepsis). And you know, without any changes and custom made builds it is not suitable for editing (even for small 5-minutes videos). You need to heavily customize it, fix some critical bugs and only then use it.

As for 10/2020 OpenShot cannot scale chroma planes right (low resolution "stairs" artifacts). It fails to convert colors right (PNG images, BT709/601 messed up etc. To be honest, I made fix for this, but it was rejected because dev wasn't ready and didn't knew this part of the FFmpeg...). And even then it is very simple and a bit slow editor. At least, it supports bilinear scaling algorithm. Effects are hard to apply and manage if they are not full screen effects. Animation control is terrible (better to not move anything on the screen or animate parameters because it's very hard to get good result - most of the edits will be made blind and position/time inaccurate). Transitions is not so bad as for free editor, nothing with alpha or 3D transformations but simple fade-in/out by luma are present. Fast-forward is possible with some cautions (as soon as video fragment was fast-forwarded do not try to modify it!). Editor is known for sync issues, project file damages, crashes (a lot). Other minor issues are not destructive, thus can be ignored.

For me, as customer, current OpenShot project state looks frozen. Code changes... but these changes are mostly cosmetic (ether build fixes or code cleanup). It is single person project and the quality control is behind the wall of the developer's own opinion. Sometimes I think that developers are never do (or ever did) the job the program intended for. It works somehow but is like a hammer when you need scissors (just scissors and glue). This year the dev of the OpenShot said few times about new UI for the program and this means that all bugs will stay in place ^_^ (cross fingers).

shendu

the info is helpful and useful.
The free version of Davinci Resolve is very powerful, It was the most advanced and felt like the closest to Premiere.
Plus, people should check out ShotCut. It’s free. No watermarks. And actually does a pretty good job for a free editor.
Another article about video editors: https://pctechtest.com/best-video-editing-software