Resource icon

Free Post Production Tools You can Use

c3r1c3

c3r1c3 submitted a new resource:

Post Production Tools You can Use - You recorded in OBS, but now you need to spice things up.

So you've just finished your Ultra-Mega-Marathon Streaming session... but now you need to cut out those not-so-funny-parts, the false starts, all those flubs, add some lower thirds, clean up/normalize your audio levels, etc.

In other words you want to take it up a notch. So you think "Hey I'm gonna edit/clean up/layer on some nice visuals for my videos", but you don't want to pay $800 for Final Cut Pro+Logic+Motion, or $50/month to Adobe to use Audition/Premiere/After Effects.

OBS is free...

Read more about this resource...

oleksiy raymono

Thanks for sharing useful OBS tool information with all.There is another best tool i.e Long Path Tool which is designed for unlocking, editing ,deleting, copies and renames path too long files,folders etc

Has there been any update to the DaVinci Resolve front? Now that OBS MP has the option to choose a color space, if I'm remembering correctly regular OBS uses 601 while Quicktime only recognizes 709 which OBS MP can use. I don't have Resolve installed since my reformat but I'm wondering if anyone's tried it out with these new settings in OBS MP?

c3r1c3

The last time I tried Resolve (which was about 1-2 months ago), it still had issues with decoding the flv/mp4/mkv files (flv and mkv remuxed to MP4 of course) from OBS. The issue is that when you try to play the file, Resolve doesn't decode it properly. I don't know why or what causes the issue.

If you really want to use Resolve, you could transcode the files from OBS to say... DNxHD (either MXF or wrapped in a MOV), or other formats Resolve supports. I use Avanti (a GUI for FFMPEG on Windows) to handle my transcoding/complicated remuxing needs.

As to color space, you can tell Resolve how to interpret the footage, and even create/apply custom LUTs, so color space shouldn't ever be an issue for you.

masterneme

The last time I tried Resolve (which was about 1-2 months ago), it still had issues with decoding the flv/mp4/mkv files (flv and mkv remuxed to MP4 of course) from OBS. The issue is that when you try to play the file, Resolve doesn't decode it properly. I don't know why or what causes the issue.

If you really want to use Resolve, you could transcode the files from OBS to say... DNxHD (either MXF or wrapped in a MOV), or other formats Resolve supports. I use Avanti (a GUI for FFMPEG on Windows) to handle my transcoding/complicated remuxing needs.

As to color space, you can tell Resolve how to interpret the footage, and even create/apply custom LUTs, so color space shouldn't ever be an issue for you.
Could you please share how do you use Avanti? How would you transcode an OBS .flv to make it compatible with Resolve?

Thanks in advance.

c3r1c3

Could you please share how do you use Avanti? How would you transcode an OBS .flv to make it compatible with Resolve?

From my testing, I can say that the latest version of Resolve fixes a number of issues with the files recorded by OBS. That said, it's still not perfect (the biggest issue is that playback can be a bit inconsistent, which is a pain when editing). Here's a screenshot of my flv/mkv/mp4 to DNxHD ( wrapped in MOV) settings that I use:

https://imgur.com/ntuMTCA

Please note that I record using NVENC, 1920x1080@60p. If you record at a different resolution/frame rate the bitrate may change. Also using the command line version of FFMPEG allows you to export MXF files, which I prefer. Finally DNxHD is a very particular codec, it doesn't like non-broadcast/non-film resolutions and frame rates, so if you do something esoteric, you'll need to use a different codec.

c3r1c3

Hard to use or rare in use but need to be mentioned:

Decoding - K-Lite Codec Pack, http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
Encoding - MeGUI, https://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/
Edit - AviSynth, http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page
Subtitling - Aegisub, http://www.aegisub.org/

Generally if you're dealing with legit sources (i.e. no pirated/stolen material), then codec packs are usually not needed, and can actually do more harm then good.

MeGUI looks interesting, but I haven't tried it... but I will try to make some time for it.

As to AViSynth, it's a nice program/idea (I've used it for stuff), but for most people writing scripts to perform edits is much more complex then just grabbing a simple editor (e.g. OpenShot or AviDemux) and editing. Also if you use Codecs that are in spec and common then you really don't need a frameserver.

For Aegisub, that's a really nice find. Good sub-titling tools are rare and usually expensive, so that's a find I can get behind.

Thanks for sharing, and next time I update the main post I'll add Aegisub and possibly MeGUI.

Last edited:

132nd.Fudd

If you need codec-packs then you're doing something wrong... They contain a ton of codecs, all of which you shouldn't have ANY need for!

With that said, I have used LightWorks and like it, but I've converted to DaVinci Resolve (12.5 release) and I'm VERY happy with the move.

There are two issues I've encountered in Resolve though:
1: I've recorded footage with Intel QuickSync (Skylake version), and no matter which mode I use I get problems importing the clips into Resolve. They play fine for a little while, then I get a "Media missing!" error in the video. I suspect it's a "framerate vs actual frames stored" issue. Using the x264 software codec works 100% of the time.
2: I record separate audio tracks for game-sound, TeamSpeak output and microphone. Resolve will only see the first track.

LightWorks has none of these issues, but for my use I find LightWorks a bit cumbersome to use (and the limitation of "YouTube 720p for free, pay for 1080p" is darn annoying)..

Suslik V

If you need codec-packs then you're doing something wrong... They contain a ton of codecs, all of which you shouldn't have ANY need for!
Video editing with AviSynth require additional decoder and splitter installed on the old system (at least, directshow layer for XP). About codecs itself - I trying never to install things that is not required. Many software players ignore system codecs. If you fail somewhere - this is your own fault. I posted post production tools that you CAN use. If you are looking for 'magic' button then there is NO magic.

RAZR31

LightWorks has none of these issues, but for my use I find LightWorks a bit cumbersome to use (and the limitation of "YouTube 720p for free, pay for 1080p" is darn annoying)..

In the original post it says that you can get a free license for up to 1080p editing. When did you two post these remarks and which one is the currently true one? Is 1080p currently free or not?
Today's Date: September 5, 2016

c3r1c3

Updated the notes on Lightworks, updated the notes on Openshot, fixed some spelling and grammatical errors.

2: I record separate audio tracks for game-sound, TeamSpeak output and microphone. Resolve will only see the first track

What container are you using? I've been using MP4 container and have no problems with 2 audio tracks (mic and system/game). I haven't gone to 3 tracks yet (probably need to set up vbaudio at some point to split teamspeak/discord out from the game audio), but it definitely works with 2 tracks.

I'm also getting the "Media Offline" message and it seems to appear randomly in exported footage, so re-rendering doesn't help. I've tried moving things to an SSD to see if it's a speed thing, but that doesn't seem to help either. I haven't tried slowing down the rendering from maximum speed... that might help, but then I'm spending way more time than I care to rendering out video just to avoid a few 1 frame blips in a ~30 minute clip.

Ultimately I'd go with LightWorks primarily due to being cross platform (I prefer my day-to-day computing to be in Linux), but not being able to export 1080p makes it a no go.

Edit: I've tried other editors like Shotcut and OpenShot, KDENLive and Blender (which has a surprisingly full-featured video editor, though it's a pain in the ass to use), even some paid "consumer" ones from Corel and Sony, even my company's Premiere Pro doesn't like multiple audio tracks in a single video. Rather annoying. Blender seems to have added it to the "todo" list, but who knows when/if that is going to happen.

Last edited:

c3r1c3

Premiere Pro CC2014.3 (and later) fully supports multiple audio-tracks in a MP4 file. You just have to tell it use the other tracks.

I do really like LightWorks, and it's worth the cost if you need the 'advanced' features.

As to Resolve, I've never come across that issue, but you should make sure to run the latest version, and post a bug report in the BMD forums.

c3r1c3

Updated on 2017-09-16:
Updated Resolve with info about 14 and removed the bugs/info about 12.
Added Media Composer First Info.
Some minor edits to the rest.