Portable OBS on MAC?

MetaMachine

I'm wondering if there is a way to get a portable version of obs on a mac computer.
I know you can do it on windows which is what I use, but not everyone in my group has a windows machine.

As I'm not familiar with how the mac os works I don't know if it is even possible

Any guidance would be appreciated!

impartialgeek

I've been looking for this as well and can't seem to find it. I am wondering if I just do a fresh install of OBS but load it on an external SSD that I can plug into other Macs would do the trick. Guess I'll have to test this theory and see if it works.

mishakim

It would need some changes to where and how OBS stores files -- it keeps settings in ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio, which is not portable, and not synced through iCloud. I tried once to use symlinks to remap that folder to one that was synced in iCloud, so I could open a normal install of OBS on two different Macs and access the same set of settings, scenes, etc. It worked, but poorly -- every time I switched machines, the Scene Collections got duplicated. Some element of file ownership was preventing OBS from accepting that the same file was in use by two users (I even set the UID the same for that user between both machines; didn't help)

I think what would be needed is a way to set the working directory in OBS, so you can set it to a folder that moves around with the portable app, and to have OBS not care about ownership settings for files in that directory, so it doesn't matter who the user is when you interact with it

Suslik V

If you know how to write code for macOS, and you'll find suitable solution (that doesn't break logic of the OS), then look at the next code of OBS and contribute your findings:
OBS is open source - you can change it.