Bug Report Please fix the hotkeys

FrankieNBloo

I get that hotkey management isn't the biggest issue for many people, but for the few who really rely on it this is getting really annoying.

Currently, you can map your hotkeys to almost anything on the keyboard. For example, I can have a source mapped to the "p" key, another source to the "ctrl + p" key, another to "alt + p", and another to "ctrl + alt + p". You can also use shift, as well.

The problem is, if you have two sources mapped, say the "p" key and the "ctrl + p" key, if you press "ctrl + p" it will not only activate the source mapped to "ctrl + p", but also the source mapped to the "p" key. De-activating operates the same way, but for de-activating.

I get this is not a big problem for many people, but I'm butting heads here on my keyboard. I am running out of keys to hotkey. Currently you can only mix stuff like "alt + p" and "ctrl + p" because there is no conflict there, but you cannot map "ctrl + alt + p" on top of this, because it would activate the scene associated to only the alt modifier and the scene only associated to the ctrl modifier - i.e. they all become activated whenever "ctrl + alt + p" is pressed.

I am trying to avoid getting something like interceptor or luaMacros (both which are spotty freeware software, not easily removed from your computer if they fuck up your keyboard drivers). Both are software designed to allow your computer to recognize new keyboards as independent entities - essentially creating even more keys to hotkey (See Taran from Linus Tech Tips videos on youtube for more info). I digress, but the point is I don't want this spotty software, when I could just have another layer of hotkeys setup via OBS.

I may be wrong, but I think the problem relies on how OBS recognizes the modifier keys as actual keys, rather than modifiers. I can setup a source with JUST "ctrl + alt" key mapping, for example - this shouldn't happen, imho. However this is strange because you cannot map typical keys like "p + o" to a source, so I may be wrong.

TL;DR Hotkeys underpowered. Plz fix blizz.

Dawz

I can't believe that this hasn't been resolved... its seriously not that hard. Just add a Require Exact Input Checkbox...

WBE

I've been part of this community for almost two years now (due to pandemic) and this discussion keeps coming back. I've seen it being ended several times by a statement like: this ain't a keyboard shortcut system, but real hotkeys.
But the question beyond that isn't answered: why does OBS Studio has a real hotkey system? Is is a Qt limitation "we all" agreed to try to live with? Is this a deliberate and well thought design choise, and if so: based on what? I don't know about other operating systems, but the current OBS functionality definitely isn't congruent with Microsoft Windows. Maybe based on an industry practice of dedicated video switcher hardware?

Probably the discussion within the community has been held extensively before, but for me the above linked Mantis comment from December 2017 is new, that's acqknowledging it's faulty.

@dodgepong, has this discussion had a definitive outcome? If so, could you please point to that? If not, is ideas.obsproject.com the right place for it?