Please add .ajpg files to work and animate

Nalfeyn

Since I am using animated jpg files for my alerts, because they simply look better and allow half-transparent pixels, I would like you to add those.

i tried using them with Streamlabs - they are animating correctly on the Streamlabs side, but when the alert is triggered the image shows up in OBS but don't start to animate.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Just to clarify, you're talking about the browser source? Or are you adding these images directly to OBS with a media or image source?

Nalfeyn

Just to clarify, you're talking about the browser source? Or are you adding these images directly to OBS with a media or image source?

Exactly. The file is uploaded on streamlabs, and linked with the browsersource to obs.

If I put the file as a mediasource it is animated correctly.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Can you post an example image to test with? I don't think I've ever seen an animated JPG in my life.

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Please post an actual file that you want to try for us to replicate the issue (please attach it here to your post zipped).

Two sources for you:
Uhm both links tell you how to fiddle with a GIF file until it seems to be a JPEG.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Renaming an extension from gif to jpg does not make it a jpg. It's still a gif, just with a misleading name. My guess is that Chrome is ignoring the extension and reading the file headers, while the browser source is trying to take the file name at its word that it's an jpg and getting confused when it turns out it isn't.

Rename the "animated jpg" back to a .gif extension, re-upload it to StreamLabs, and try it that way.

Nalfeyn

Attachments

• demo.png
    demo.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 25

H4ndy

Forum Moderator
Your demo file is an APNG (animated PNG).
Those are not yet supported in the browser source.

APNG support is with Chromium 59, browser source is on v57 at the moment.

You have to switch to GIF and/or wait for browser source plugin to get updated.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The links you posted both suggested that the file was a gif that was renamed to jpg.

If we're talking animated PNG, I believe support for those was only added to Chrome in version 59 (the latest version). The browser source currently uses version 57.

Why are you renaming an animated png to jpg anyway? You do understand that doesn't make it an animated jpg, right? It's still an animated png, just with a jpg name.

Nalfeyn

Your demo file is an APNG (animated PNG).
Those are not yet supported in the browser source.

APNG support is with Chromium 59, browser source is on v57 at the moment.

You have to switch to GIF and/or wait for browser source plugin to get updated.

And a animated PNG can be easily converted into a animated JPG, because both file types support half-transparency and are using over 16 billions colours. Therefore it doesnt matter if apng or ajpg.

Thank you for your response!
It's the only answer which was needed, from a guy which knows what hes talking about.

I would like to ask everybody else to dont response if you really dont know what you are talking about.
If you dont know those files types dont say there arent any of those.
Your wasting everybody elses time.

Nalfeyn

The links you posted both suggested that the file was a gif that was renamed to jpg.

If we're talking animated PNG, I believe support for those was only added to Chrome in version 59 (the latest version). The browser source currently uses version 57.

Why are you renaming an animated png to jpg anyway? You do understand that doesn't make it an animated jpg, right? It's still an animated png, just with a jpg name.

Yes. It doenst really make a difference if jpg or png.
I need the half-transparency of the pixels for the image to be shown correctly and in the right colours.

But gif's sadly dont support that.

Thank you for your response.

Osiris

We know perfectly well what we are talking about.
The JPEG format does not support animation. Changing the extension of files does not change them to a different format, an apng (or gif) renamed to .jpg will still be in the PNG (or GIF) format.

Nalfeyn

We know perfectly well what we are talking about.
The JPEG format does not support animation. Changing the extension of files does not change them to a different format, an apng (or gif) renamed to .jpg will still be in the PNG (or GIF) format.

Saying: Just rename the png to a gif file is just rubbish. Because youre changing the whole format and colour pattern and the half-transparency will be lost. So people do not know what they are talking about.

Osiris

But that's what you said you did? You even gave me links to guides that essentially create a gif then rename it to .jpg.

Nalfeyn

Do you know when the browser source will be updated?
Cheers, Nalfeyn.