Question / Help Playing Back Media Sources

Andy Brine

Hi Everyone,

Im having a few problems playing back media with OBS. It plays back ok and it all records but I am unable to pause the video or go back to the beginning. Preferably I would like the media file to play when I select the scene and its not doing that.

As soon as I select the media for the scene, it starts playing automatically. If I change the settings to loop, then, when I select the scene it is halfway through already. Neither of these scenarios are ideal at all.

Is there any way to change is so that is plays from the start when I select the scene?

Thanks in advance
Andy

Andy Brine

Is there no way to do this at all Gol D. Ace. In some respects, this makes the Media Source almost unusable which is a real shame. Im sure in a previous version , the video would start from the beginning every time I would select a scene. Is there something that has been changed?

Gol D. Ace

Every Source (and Scene (which are internally sources)) in OBS MP is global so they stay always active.
There is a way to get it working but yeah not that comfortable.

Sources get reloaded when you change the scene collection so you can get the video playing again by changing to another scene collection and then to the one with the video again.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Technically that's not true, it depends on how the source is programmed. Most sources are programmed to stop capture/playback or sometimes even unload if they're not being displayed. The media source however doesn't have that yet.

Andy Brine

Every Source (and Scene (which are internally sources)) in OBS MP is global so they stay always active.
There is a way to get it working but yeah not that comfortable.

Sources get reloaded when you change the scene collection so you can get the video playing again by changing to another scene collection and then to the one with the video again.

This is exactly what I thought would happen also, but as I mentioned, it does not work like that for me. As soon as I add the media source it starts playing, when I select a different scene and then go back to the one with the video, it plays from the place in the video that is got to. If I set it to loop, it will loop forever.

It does not start the video every time I select the scene, is this a bug? It used to restart every time I selected the scene with the media source, this was in an old version of OBS.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
He said sources get reloaded every time you change the scene collection, not every time you change the scene. The media source plugin is currently not smart enough to realize you changed the scene, and that is a shortcoming that still needs to be fixed.

Andy Brine

He said sources get reloaded every time you change the scene collection, not every time you change the scene. The media source plugin is currently not smart enough to realize you changed the scene, and that is a shortcoming that still needs to be fixed.

Ok thanks dodgepong, I have been able to do that now :) I was not aware that this was how you had to do it. Im sure in a previous version of OBS it restarted the video at the beginning of every scene. This will be perfect for the meantime.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Yeah, it's different in this version. Sources in OBS Multiplatform are all global, as opposed to the original OBS where they were only limited to a single scene by default.

almircampos

Hi, I'm using the version 21.1.1 on a Mac and it seems that's still not possible to manually start and stop the media source playing in the background. Am I missing something or this feature is still not implemented?

Bobo Bolinski

When I recognised the missing features with the media-player, I first was quite diappointed because I thought that the possibility to start/pause/stop/rewind a videoplayback are quite essential. - Hmm. - But then I tokk a closer look at the VLC source.. as recommended in this thread and several others dealing with this topic.. ••• And: There they are.. (Nearly) all the features I missed with the media player. And even more using keyboard shortcuts. - So I encourage every one who is not happy with the media player.. (.. and that should be anybody playing videos in a show..) to use the VLC source instead. It works great!

Kawhy7

When I recognised the missing features with the media-player, I first was quite diappointed because I thought that the possibility to start/pause/stop/rewind a videoplayback are quite essential. - Hmm. - But then I tokk a closer look at the VLC source.. as recommended in this thread and several others dealing with this topic.. ••• And: There they are.. (Nearly) all the features I missed with the media player. And even more using keyboard shortcuts. - So I encourage every one who is not happy with the media player.. (.. and that should be anybody playing videos in a show..) to use the VLC source instead. It works great!
Hey! Quick question about the VLC source.. I’m having trouble with it as it doesn’t seem to show any content on my preview or program when I pull it up.. does it open VLC inside of OBS or is it taking the screen information from a separate VLC instance?
Thanks in advance- would love to get this working as I have no way of controlling video transport..

swaseysd

Hi Everyone,

Im having a few problems playing back media with OBS. It plays back ok and it all records but I am unable to pause the video or go back to the beginning. Preferably I would like the media file to play when I select the scene and its not doing that.

As soon as I select the media for the scene, it starts playing automatically. If I change the settings to loop, then, when I select the scene it is halfway through already. Neither of these scenarios are ideal at all.

Is there any way to change is so that is plays from the start when I select the scene?

Thanks in advance
Andy
I'm having the exact same problem and I've tried several of the solutions mentioned in these forums and nothing works.

swaseysd

Is there no way to do this at all Gol D. Ace. In some respects, this makes the Media Source almost unusable which is a real shame. Im sure in a previous version , the video would start from the beginning every time I would select a scene. Is there something that has been changed?
You're exactly right. I don't know what version started this mess but it definitely use to work that way before where you could start, stop and restart the media manually.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Media sources in OBS now have media controls as of version 26. Ensure the Source Toolbar is enabled under the View menu, then select your media source to see the media controls.