Play Mumble on stream with USB headset (VAC)

pairdime

The way I stream games is:
1. game audio + music over my speakers
2. Mumble in/out over my USB headset

The problem I ran into is I wanted to output Mumble on my stream. Here is the solution. Should also work similarly on Ventrilo or TeamSpeak.

Requires $25 purchase of Virtual Audio Cable: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm
I really would have preferred a free program, but I could not find anything suitable.

Mumble Config

L3PQ8.png

PbQFs.png

OBS Config

p3ILG.png

VAC Config

fhW7V.png

^^^ click for large ^^^

VAC Details
  • I will mention that this configuration assumes you are not using push-to-talk in OBS. If you do, the other people talking on Mumble will not be heard on the stream unless you are pushing your push-to-talk key while they talk, which wouldn't work out very well.
  • The 3 repeater windows are instances of Audio Repeater (MME) -- not KS.
  • I was worried about echos/sound levels (since game audio + music is played over loud speaker), but it was not an issue and I did not have to configure anything special.
  • To mute Mumble on the Stream, I mute the mic from the main OBS window. To mute my mic, but not mute Mumble, I hit the mute button on my headset.
  • Annoyingly, you have to configure 3 separate instances each time. To automate this, use the following batch scripts. You should name the parameters to whatever the Audio Repeater has in your chosen dropdown options, depending on your individual setup.

VAC_start.bat
Code:
start /min "audiorepeater" "%programfiles%\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Autostart /Input: "Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output: "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)"
start /min "audiorepeater" "%programfiles%\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Autostart /Input: "Microphone (Logitech G930 Heads" /Output: "Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)"
start /min "audiorepeater" "%programfiles%\Virtual Audio Cable\audiorepeater.exe" /Autostart /Input: "Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)" /Output: "Speakers (Logitech G930 Headset"

VAC_kill.bat
Code:
taskkill /im "audiorepeater.exe"

micechal

Hi. I've found this open source software: http://jackaudio.org/ I don't have any microphone or something to test with, but from description it sounds like it could be ok :) I think it's worth trying because it's free.

pairdime

micechal said:
Hi. I've found this open source software: http://jackaudio.org/ I don't have any microphone or something to test with, but from description it sounds like it could be ok :) I think it's worth trying because it's free.

Wish I found out about this before I shelled out $25 :lol:

Will give it a shot and see if I can get it working as well, and report back.

pairdime

I added this pitfall to the VAC details:
  • I will mention that this configuration assumes you are not using push-to-talk in OBS. If you do, the other people talking on Mumble will not be heard on the stream unless you are pushing your push-to-talk key while they talk, which wouldn't work out very well.
If OBS were able to select audio input (not just mic input) this could be resolved. I don't think there's a way to do that currently, is there?

Calv

can someone to this for teamspeak for the opposite? don't wanna stream TS, just want to stream the gamesounds, but have TS and Gamesound on my Headset.

currently OBS catches all audio from my output device, is it possible somehow to exclude TS3/mumble/..., so people in the TS and on the stream don't hear themself in TS and on the stream...?

Found the Virtual Audio Cable Programm, but would be better to donate here, than spending money on other sites.

pairdime

Calv said:
can someone to this for teamspeak for the opposite? don't wanna stream TS, just want to stream the gamesounds, but have TS and Gamesound on my Headset.

currently OBS catches all audio from my output device, is it possible somehow to exclude TS3/mumble/..., so people in the TS and on the stream don't hear themself in TS and on the stream...?

Found the Virtual Audio Cable Programm, but would be better to donate here, than spending money on other sites.

Until OBS supports setting your default sound device (not mic input, but normal audio) then I'm not sure that it is possible. If you have some way of setting Windows default sound device, and then registering your headset/lineout as a separate device, then it would be possible. Basically you would just set Teamspeak to output to your headset, then you may need to use VAC to relay your default Windows device to whatever you set as your headset device. OBS will then only get the Windows device output (game sound) and VAC would relay that sound to your headset (separate audio device). Depends on your onboard sound or sound card and how it treats headset output. For a normal 2-plug 3.5mm headset you may not have any luck.

I would suggest buying a USB headset if playing game sound over speakers (and not the headset) is an option, but you mentioned you wanted all sound (TS + game audio) in the headset. USB headsets get treated as separate audio devices so it makes it very easy to split audio sources up between programs. If you used a USB headset in this fashion then you wouldn't have to use VAC at all.

If you can wait a few weeks, maybe there will be more info from OBS team regarding setting of audio devices. Right now it just uses default Windows device.