PC Crashing with Screen Capture

desi48

Hello.

I have been getting these random PC crashes (screen goes black and then auto reboot) and now I finally figured out why - obs screen capture.

Basically, I can reproduce a PC crash with a 100% success rate if I turn on OBS and then launch Doom Eternal. The system will crash in main menu.

More specifically, only "DXGI Desktop Duplication / Auto" capture method does this. If I set screen capture to "Windows 10", the crash is gone.

OBS Does not have to be recording for the crash to happen.

This kind of system crash does not generate any information in the OBS log file. However, there is also the other scenario - while playing Apex, it is OBS that crashes - not the system. I believe its the same issue - and for this, OBS does generate log file. I will include THAT one here.

I have been told to disable GPU Scheduling, but it did not help.

Any other suggestions, please?

Video for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0UCUE8jxaM
-------
PC:
RTX 3080Ti
Ryzen 9 5900X
MSI B550 Tomahawk
Crucial Balistix 32GB 3000Mhz (4x8GB)
Corsair RM850X

Attachments

• 2021-09-10_18-16-30.txt
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

koala

If your PC reboots during some operation, it's a hardware issue with your PC. May be it overheats with maximum CPU+GPU usage. It may also be some incompatibility between components (mainboard, RAM, CPU, GPU), or insufficient power supply, or some defective component.
According to your video, it seems to crash in the moment the game switches to the 3D graphics mode. This indicates some issue with the GPU or with compatibility of mainboard/GPU. Try to get and update to the most current video driver and make a complete reinstall of the driver.

desi48

If your PC reboots during some operation, it's a hardware issue with your PC. May be it overheats with maximum CPU+GPU usage. It may also be some incompatibility between components (mainboard, RAM, CPU, GPU), or insufficient power supply, or some defective component.
According to your video, it seems to crash in the moment the game switches to the 3D graphics mode. This indicates some issue with the GPU or with compatibility of mainboard/GPU. Try to get and update to the most current video driver and make a complete reinstall of the driver.

Hi, thank you for the comment, but - this happens just and only if obs is running. If OBS is off, it will never happen.
I should probably include the following info in the original post, but:

I have actually switched almost every component in the PC (before figuring out it was caused by obs)

Here is what I tried:

1) Replace CPU

2) Replace Motherboard

3) New SSD & Windows reinstall

4) Nvidia DDU & newest driver

5) Turn off XMP

6) Replace Power Supply (750W -> 850W)

7) new GPU Bios

8) Reseating the GPU

9) Taking out 2 ram

10) I believe that I changed GPU back to gtx 1060 and still crashed, but unsure about this one

Temperatures are 65C gpu and 68-75C cpu.

Last edited:

koala

So you already did the tedious hardware check. The only thing you didn't change is the GPU, and the issue persists. If possible, try to change it.

Why it is a hardware issue: apps (like OBS) are never able to make the operating system crash. This is the design of the operating system. If an app actually triggers an operating system crash, it's a bug in the operating system or some component of the operating system. Also a "bug" (better: defect) in the hardware that makes the operating system crash. If a hardware component is defective, it makes its driver crash, which makes the operating system crash, because drivers are part of the operating system. That's what probably happens for you, probably the GPU.

desi48

So you already did the tedious hardware check. The only thing you didn't change is the GPU, and the issue persists. If possible, try to change it.

Why it is a hardware issue: apps (like OBS) are never able to make the operating system crash. This is the design of the operating system. If an app actually triggers an operating system crash, it's a bug in the operating system or some component of the operating system. Also a "bug" (better: defect) in the hardware that makes the operating system crash. If a hardware component is defective, it makes its driver crash, which makes the operating system crash, because drivers are part of the operating system. That's what probably happens for you, probably the GPU.

Yes, I have been trying to figure this crashing issue for a month now so you can imagine I'm really frustrated about it.
But - I have done endless GPU stress testings and Benchmarks, and never crashed. Also I have launched DOOM over and over for an hour without obs screen capture - never crashed.

So if it really IS a faulty graphics card like you say, why is it only failing when capturing the entire screen? And also, what can I do about it? Can a future NVIDIA driver fix this?

PS: I just tried capturing the screen by using NVIDIA Shadowplay, and that didnt crash either, so I really don't know what the issue is

I really wish I had a second GPU on hand to verify your theory of it being faulty before contacting the distributor

koala

It's really weird - I don't know why your computer is only rebooting with OBS and that game in this situation.
I only know many people play that game and use OBS, but this is the first time I see such a crash with that game here in the forum. If it is OBS' fault, the forum would be full of people with similar reports, but it isn't. The game was released last year, so we would have heard about such thing if there were a special issue with Doom Eternal or with OBS. And the standard issue with computer reboot is hardware issue, so that's what I suspect.
There are also some strange GPU-related errors in your log I never commonly see in logs, so I suspect an issue around the GPU. Bad driver or bad GPU hardware.

desi48

It's really weird - I don't know why your computer is only rebooting with OBS and that game in this situation.
I only know many people play that game and use OBS, but this is the first time I see such a crash with that game here in the forum. If it is OBS' fault, the forum would be full of people with similar reports, but it isn't. The game was released last year, so we would have heard about such thing if there were a special issue with Doom Eternal or with OBS. And the standard issue with computer reboot is hardware issue, so that's what I suspect.
There are also some strange GPU-related errors in your log I never commonly see in logs, so I suspect an issue around the GPU. Bad driver or bad GPU hardware.

Hi,
First of all I want to thank you for helping out

Secondly, I want to share knowledge on how I fixed the crashes:

In BIOS, I changed PCIE from Generation 4 to Generation 3.

After that, I can launch DOOM with OBS - no crashes at all.

I have no idea why, but it works.

koala

In this case, I suspect an incompatibility between GPU and mainboard. Since you replaced the mainboard, did you replace it with the same model or with a different model? If it was the same model, it's probably an incompatibility or bad pci-express 4.0 implementation in the mainboard.

desi48

In this case, I suspect an incompatibility between GPU and mainboard. Since you replaced the mainboard, did you replace it with the same model or with a different model? If it was the same model, it's probably an incompatibility or bad pci-express 4.0 implementation in the mainboard.

Hello.

actually I tried replacing the GPU to a 1050 and the crash still happens with OBS open. I have practically swapped every single piece of hardware now (although for cpu I swapped 5900x with another 5900x)

No idea what could be causing this anymore, also the PCIE Gen 3 fix doesn't work :/

desi48

Hi, its been ages so you probably already forgot, just wanted to update you:

The issue was a faulty CPU. I did try replacing it with the same model, but turns out I found 2 faulty CPU's in a row so thats why the issue persisted (lol)

After a RMA they sent me a working CPU and the issue disappeared completely.