Question / Help Pausing the Recorder?

Ok so what you are saying then is that if we implement this feature it would need to be implemented as a plugin and not implemented in the actual software?

MCBYT

Ok so what you are saying then is that if we implement this feature it would need to be implemented as a plugin and not implemented in the actual software?
It could be implemented as either, there's just an unofficial addition suggestion area and an official addition suggestion area. The plugin one is more likely to get accepted, though.

ControlSphere

Hello,

I have just recently downloaded OBS and I'm trying to learn the ropes. My recording software before this was Microsoft Expression Encoder, but I've been wanting to switch for a while because the framerate on Microsoft was not very high. My only problem now is, I haven't any idea how to pause this recorder while recording (in order to skip right to the exciting parts of gameplay or go and use the restroom while playing). I'm... not even really sure what the difference between Classic and Studio mode is, though I am able to switch to "studio mode" in the software, so I hope I'm posting this in the correct place.

My only question; is pausing and unpausing the recorder possible, or is that feature still being implemented?

Thanks,
AllenM10

The OBS team has done a tremendous job building this tool, but it seems to be more targeted to streaming. A Pause button is a mandatory requirement for recording tool. For this (and several other reasons), I'll be uninstalling OBS and trying something else. If I ever get back into streaming, I might give OBS another try.

sdsaati

As OBS uses ffmpeg for recording videos, I think it is almost impossible to make a pause feature with ffmpeg, that's why they can't make it, in ffmpeg if you want to make a pause feature you have to simulate it, you need to stop the video and merge them together to simulate pause feature BUT the output video still isn't perfect when you do this with ffmpeg (I made this in a screen capture app that I wrote before), so it's almost impossible except not using ffmpeg.

sdsaati

Narcogen, where is that pause button? I can't find it. still the OBS I downloaded doesn't have any pause feature.

Last edited:

sdsaati

I just found that little pause button, next to the stop recording button, thank you :)
now OBS is awesome.

LoneTaurus82

I knew it was something different about this latest update which led me to this forum, but yeah finally having a "Pause" button when recording is awesome and was very much needed from what I read in past replies to this topic. Really makes OBS a full featured recording program now. Props to the OBS project team for making this possible!

Last edited:

Ldybug1964

I use OBS for recording my screen when I am working. It helps me to be able to show others how things are done. I would like to be able to pause the recording, not for streaming but just for recording my screen as sometimes it goes into a lull.

Narcogen

I use OBS for recording my screen when I am working. It helps me to be able to show others how things are done. I would like to be able to pause the recording, not for streaming but just for recording my screen as sometimes it goes into a lull.

As mentioned above, the latest version has this feature.

madlife11

Hi, where exactly is the pause button? I can't seem to find it. I'm running OBS on mac, downloaded the latest version.

1570707605886.png

Suslik V

@madlife11 the "pause" feature not supported for the 'same as stream' recording encoder and for custom ffmpeg output. Thus the button is hidden (same to the Replay Buffer feature).

Legitpeyton

Yes please enable the ability to pause recording and resume recording ability’s. What are we supposed to do when we have to go to the bathroom. Pee our pants because we can’t pause and resume recording footage.

koala

It's possible since quite some releases to pause/unpause recordings. You must not use "use stream encoder" as encoder to have it available.

Legitpeyton

This link show you how to do it.
I did it and it works. I can now pause my recordings when I’m recording my Xbox gameplay.