Question / Help Pause Recording

biarzed

It's still not implemented and it's getting annoying. I'd really use that right now.. Would speed up my workflow a lot

Triple88a

And then you have the folks saying "oh just cut the footage after you record it".. yes and then spend another hour cutting it and another hour encoding the footage and trying to get the same encoding settings... Seems quite backwards.

koala

It's a complex feature request. It might look easy, but it is a complex thing internally. OBS is primarily a streaming tool. The recording function is only some kind of small additional option - instead of writing to the network, you write the video stream to disc. Interrupting that stream only for disk writing is not trivial. For streaming, you don't need pause. You switch to an afk scene instead.

It's not that you just leave out the write operations. If you do this, you only create one huge lag that lasts as long as the pause lasted. To have a seamless pause, you have to adjust timestamps, respect the GOP (you must pause and unpause the video only at reference frames), keep audio in sync, and so on. There are many small but important things to do. And because OBS primarily focuses on streaming, and for streaming pause is not applicable, it is understandable why the priority for doing all this is not very high.

Triple88a

I'm actually curious how many use it for streaming and how many use it for recording and streaming and how many people don't use it because of the pause feature. The search results showed this question being asked over and over though with most people going with a different program in the end.