Panasonic PTZ Cameras

VSW

We are looking at using Panasonic AW-HE40 or AW-HE42 or the Birddog 200 PTZ cameras for our live streaming with OBS Studio with NDI and PoE. Anyone have any experience and comments to offer about using these cameras with OBS Studio and any comments or examples of using them in a live streaming video.

Thanks for any feedback.

Lawrence_SoCal

Have you figured out what Zoom level you need? If 20x and NDI, why the HE40? the HN38 is 22x and would be cheaper and same features for NDI (I believe). The HE42 has optical vs electronic image stabilization, which I'd be curious to hear real-world experience on the difference. The other benefit is Genlock, but I know we won't be using that. So unless optical IS is all that much better (and even then...), I can't see paying almost 2X over HN38. Unless there's something else I'm missing??
I shall watch this thread, as I'm interested in other feedback as well.
For reference, I also checked out Sony, but with limited supplies and not being able to hands-on side-by-side comparison of each, I couldn't see paying extra for Sony's upgrade ability (which I'd like, just not on HoW budget) to 4K

VSW

Thanks for that information and feedback.

I am not familiar with Genlock, so I will research.

We have a distance of about 70 to 75 feet from where we intend to put a camera to where we want to zoom to. We would like to be able to zoom so that we capture head and shoulders from the approx. 70 to 75 foot distance. We were thinking 30x zoom, but some have suggested 20x should be sufficient. At times, we have a light of light coming from behind where we will be focused, so we were hoping for cameras that have the ability to adjust as needed. We have not really looked at the Panasonic HN38, so I will take a research at bit. One of our priorities is image quality, hence we were hoping to see live stream examples where different types of Panasonic or Birddog cameras have been recently installed to get an idea of what the output look like, but I am have not had that much luck finding examples.

Thanks again.

SoundFX

At 75feet you will def prefer 30x. Don't settle.

The big diff between Panny and BirdDog in the NDI department - BD uses full NDI, Panny NDI-HX. NDI uses more bandwidth but has better latency. If you are only running 3-4 cameras I wouldn't worry about bandwidth. At 1080p NDI is max 200Mb, I'm easily doing 4 on a gigabit link. NDI latency is 0-1 frame, NDI-HX latency will run between 3-8 frames depending on settings. Image quality *might * be better with NDI due to less compression.

HE42 has all of the output options (SDI, HDMI, USB) and genlock but a 20x zoom, HE40 has 30x, no genlock and you have to pick HDMI or SDI out model. BTW, if you are using NDI there is no need for genlock inputs.

Unless you get the AW HN-40 models, the AW HE40/42 require a $299 add-on to enable NDI-HX output.

The Pannys have great robotics, good enough to do follow moves with if you have the controller. I own about 12 diff Panasonics, 4 of the HE40 SDI version. Extremely happy with them.

I don't have any BD cams, but see lots of nice comments about them.

VSW

Thank you very much for that info.

How about image quality between these various cameras? The ones mentioned all have similar size sensors with Birddog using Sony sensors.

I am also particularly interested in seeing video examples of live streams with either the Panasonic PTZ 38, 40 or 42 and the Birddog 200. if anyone knows of links to any, it would be great if you could post.

Can these different cameras be controlled and adjusted from within OBS Studio and on the fly?

Thanks again.

Hans W

We are looking at using Panasonic AW-HE40 or AW-HE42 or the Birddog 200 PTZ cameras for our live streaming with OBS Studio with NDI and PoE. Anyone have any experience and comments to offer about using these cameras with OBS Studio and any comments or examples of using them in a live streaming video.

Thanks for any feedback.
I am using the Panasonic HE40-SDI PTZ with OBS, I connected with the full HD RTSP stream without any problem. Then stream it HD to streaming server. My laptop CPU usage is less then 10% with camera and streaming 1920x1080 (Laptop -I7). It is a professional PTZ camera
with many features. I am very satisfied!
At the moment i try to find a plugin for the camera control, but also with the webserver of the camera it's possible to control the camera (or it is also possible to get a remote control for the camera).

VSW

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your feedback.

Would you be able to share the link to your live stream to take a look at the image quality.

Thanks.

IoannisT

Hi! I also try to build and optimize my setup for seminars through zoom and next to obs, Atem mini pro I also use a panasonic ptz AW-HE40 Best way to control the camera - together with my switcher and off course scenes in obs - is a Tablett and companion app.

Cheers!

Lawrence_SoCal

For a video example with the AW-HN38, at about 40+ ft typically, though some shots at around 50ft (puplit, lectern, back of altar)
https://www.facebook.com/TrinityEscondido/live videos since mid/late Nov are from Panasonic PTZ camera
I'm using Panasonic's virtual USB driver to get the NDI stream (avoiding NDI plug-in on OBS PC)... super simple (and love single cable PoE).
And I'm using their PTZ control center (on 2nd display monitor on OBS PC). The most recent update nicely enabled access to more presets
The camera is yet to be permanently mounted (hopefully real soon now). At them moment, it is on a tall tripod an a small table (about 10ft high) right about permanent install location (face of choir loft)
Christmas Eve service was outdoors at night, so you can get a sense of low light performance (we were impressed).. granted we had a few old theater lights, pointed to altar, but plenty of panning to low-light areas

This is all auto on exposure (indoors and out) .. I'm sure could be better, but simpler is my goal
In some indoor shots you will see that I have a LED light with softbox in the middle aisle. with no in-person attendance, the extra light does help (its a 60W LED, so not that powerful)

Albertckchan

Does anyone able to call AW-HN38 preset directly from OBS scene without using the physical Controller? If so, can you share how?

Lawrence_SoCal

Does anyone able to call AW-HN38 preset directly from OBS scene without using the physical Controller? If so, can you share how?
Panasonic has its interface specs manual that lists all of the command line options (300+ pages) see Panasonic PTZ HDIntegratedCamera_InterfaceSpecifications-E.pdf.
Combine that with one of the Command Line source plugins, and you are good to go (with a DIY type setup). This setup works fine if you take a few minutes to figure out scripting syntax. Beware plugins that don't close the script after execution (assuming more than one command line call to PTZ camera during recording/streaming session)