Overlays

Sogen

First off, I wanna preface this by saying this software is excellent. My friend is just starting on content creation and is using AMD's Relive software, but I'm going to convert him to this due to the advantage of having multiple audio tracks and such. He currently records with Relive and Audacity together. This is infinitely better than that.

This software is really solid for recording games and desktop and such, but I feel that there are things that could really make it pop. Currently, Shadowplay and MSI Afterburner are the popular options and there are a couple reasons for this. One is their overlays. They both have overlays that appear in-game. Shadowplay has the advantage of the overlay not appearing in the footage, but MSI Afterburner can show advanced hardware stats. For OBS, it would be really nice if there was an overlay that could show in-game FPS and the recording\streaming status as configured by the user with small, simple icons.

Additionally, Shadowplay has the ability to shadow record. This ability is present in OBS but I feel like it's still not on par. It'd be nice if we could configure, via the options menu, a buffer file in the RAM or drive of choice. Additionally, it's be nice to be able to use this feature when in "advanced" mode. Finally, have this capability indicated in the proposed overlay. Again, for the overlay and shadow recording ability, I feel that Shadowplay is the standard to aspire here.

If accomplished, then there would be zero reason to use Shadowplay, Relive, or Afterburner over OBS to record footage of computer programs. Long story short: These features = competition getting rekt.

I'm sorry if these have been suggested already. I did some preliminary lurking to make sure I wasn't being redundant, but it's entirely possible that I missed that thread.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
All of these things have been suggested before, but thank you for mentioning them again.

Sogen

Sorry for being redundant. Hopefully I was able to provide some expanded reasoning at the very least. :)