Question / Help OSX catalina - streamoverlay loop video elements won't play in OBS as browser source

RedHenMedia

Please help with this, this has been broken since Catalina came out. The StreamElement overlays I use as browser sources that have loop video elements play fine in the browser, but when I open in OBS Studio they only show a still from the video. When I switch back and forth between scenes the video shows a still from a later part of the loop, but it's always a still frame and won't play video. This used to work flawlessly and since I updated I've never been able to get it to work right again. I've tried rebuilding the overlays from scratch, and I also waited for a new MAC version of OBS thinking this might solve it, but no. I updated OBS today and it's the same issue. Please if you have any insight or thoughts, or leads to fixing this it has hindered my ability to launch my streaming shows. Thanks for your help with this matter. I'm eagerly awaiting any feedback. Best.

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/lAXjC0KYAKRvcJ-d

RedHenMedia

Okay, so I was able to find a workaround with the help of a member on the OBS Studio Discord channel. I'll post here for anyone looking to fix a similar issue...

1. Roll back to this version of OBS Studio:
https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases/tag/23.1.0

2. Then use this line of code in your terminal to launch OBS Studio without it crashing:
open /Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/OBS --args -picture

That fixed the issue for me, but it's a workaround not a true fix. OBS Studio still needs to address the bug in their software in order for this to be fixed in future versions of OBS Studio Mac.

Thanks to thefyrewire for helping me on OBS Studio Discord channel.

RedHenMedia

New update - the older version of OBS Studio has some bugs such as not allowing me to view desktop as a source or windows as a source, which is another significant problem. I'll work on it but it may be a choice between those sources working on the new version or the overlays working on the previous version, so maybe not such a hot workaround after all… OBS developers, please fix the bug in the new version of OBS Studio for MAC. (I've submitted this thread under Bug Reports)

RedHenMedia

New Update - Downloaded a new version of OBS today for mac, again hoping that this update would fix the streamoverlay loop video element issue. IT DID NOT. Come on, developers! What is it going to take to get this bug fixed? Can I throw money at you to dive in and prioritize this??? Just give me your cash app link. Let's gooooooo!!! Feel free to reach out to me for any details you might need. Looking forward to a real solution. (Rolling back to previous version did not work, too buggy.) Pretty please look into this issue, thanks.

RedHenMedia

BUMP. This issue is still not fixed. I was and am serious about throwing some money at the developers if they're willing to nip this bug in the bud so it's fixed by the next OBS mac release. Reach out to me here or direct message and let me know where to contribute for your efforts to this end. Thanks!

RedHenMedia

Finally got an answer to this on another thread from @WizardCM !!!

"The cause is tied specifically to the browser library we're using, CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework). We currently disable the "new networking" in it on macOS as without this change, more than just media was broken. We're specifically waiting on a reimplementation of an existing feature on CEF's side, which would open the doors for browser source hardware acceleration in the future and fix this bug. We're keeping a close eye on it and will post updates as soon as we know more."

bop7z

Has there been any updates to this? Appears this issue still exists, and I am badly in need of a way to reduce cpu usage for my animated overlays.

RedHenMedia

Has there been any updates to this? Appears this issue still exists, and I am badly in need of a way to reduce cpu usage for my animated overlays.

As of version 26.1.2 for Mac OS my browser source video loops are working! Let me know if it is OR is not fixed for you. Thanks to the developers for the latest update!

bop7z

As of version 26.1.2 for Mac OS my browser source video loops are working! Let me know if it is OR is not fixed for you. Thanks to the developers for the latest update!
wow I am glad I chose today to check this thread out - just installed the new version and yes, I have animated overlays from streamelements working now. This is a major game changer for me!

minmin2399

how did you do it ? I have the 24.0.3 obs on my windows 10 installed on mac. I am experiencing the same issue. I don't get it with the CEF thing. please help..