Option/Plugin for guideline grid, incremental control, and better/more snapping.

Nirvash

I've seen people ask for/about these things in this forum before, but no one seemed to understand what was being said.

I'm looking for a way to apply grids to the OBS preview window for consistent and easy placement. HOWEVER, I am not looking for one that is only visual. So making a ruler and adding that as an image source is not sufficient. This is because doing so will still mean squinting at the screen and pulling out a calculator to make sure everything is where you want it. What I am talking about is similar to what image editors use. I will use Gimp as a visual example.

In Gimp (which is a free alternative to Photoshop) you can configure a dynamic grid.
unknown.png

This will create a visual guide on top of your image without showing up in the final result. It looks like this.
unknown.png

So not only can you change the exact parameters of the grid, but it's also dynamic in the sense that is serves as a functional border. As in, once the grid is set, you can choose to make your movements snap onto the grid.
unknown.png

And so what I am looking for is as close to this exact functionality as possible. I think this would help tons of people set up everything in a more user-friendly way, especially beginners. However my own specific case is as follows:

I am working with someone who does youtube videos, but in the worst possible way. There's 2 cameras (because of multiple people participating) and often a 3rd source for a screen capture. The other wrinkle is 1 of the 2 cameras leaves with one of the other people after recording is done. This means every new recording session requires redoing all of the setup for the 2nd camera. And the host PC (which I don't have access to unless I physically go to it, since I don't live there) behaves differently than my own PC when testing and applying OBS functions. If I use an image source to place where the camera would be, and then use Copy Transform > Paste Transform, it simply doesn't work for them. It works every time I do it on my PC, but on the host PC it simply doesn't work. It places the top-left corner in the same location, but the size doesn't copy over. So you would then have to manually type in the Edit Transform parameters to get the 2nd camera where it's supposed to be, in every different scene, every time. If they had a snappable grid, they could just drag the opposite corner down into the correct spot with no room for error. Keep in mind everyone who participates is illiterate when it comes to technology, so they don't know how to do this type of thing without tons of help. In addition to all of that nonsense, I am also tasked with creating overlays to fit over all of these things within OBS, all of which would be made infinitely easier if I could use a grid to drop everything down, and then make it idiot-proof when I am not available to set everything up every recording session.