Optimized right-click-menu Idea

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I just gave the new right-click "preview" menu a try and had an idea for both the sources and the preview right-click menu:
i2ne9rm7f5X6V.png

I tried to check what ThonohT did for the preview menu additions, but I am not really able to do this. So I thought I picture the whole thing and gather your feedback.

In special how do you like the "Order" and "Preview" menu? Are the names okay, better ideas?

ThoNohT

Developer
I do agree with your suggestions, I can take a look at that soon.

When I was doing this yesterday, I figured the "Order" move to top / bottom, are more popularly called "Send to front / back", this would also make them easier to discern from the alignment top / bottom buttons.

ThoNohT

Developer
Ok, done. It's not 100% the same, but I tried to make it look as logical as possible.

I didn't rename the "Order" menus though.

FerretBomb

Eh, have to say that I prefer keeping the right-click menus more context-sensitive, than a single megalithic heavily nested Master Menu. Don't really need the 'move up/down' when right clicking within the preview window. Likewise, no need for the fullscreen/stretch-1:1 option when dealing with source layer ordering in the sources list.

Likewise, nesting the fullscreen/stretch-1:1 makes it more of a pain in the ass to swap back and forth between a small (scaled) preview window, and a fullscreen 1:1 view. Also needing to move/wait for a submenu to pop, or adding another click, just makes it more annoying to switch around.

Kharay

For once, FerretBomb, we are actually in total agreement. I prefer a context sensitive right-click as well. Seems more intuitive that way.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Thanks for your feedback guys. Its a very good example of, you want that, I want this, and someone else wants it different.

Just to make sure, the left half of my picture was the "as-is" snapshot of the github, I tried to make the menu a bit more intuitive (by adding one more nesting which seemed logic as the position size are also nested). In that way the overall size was decreased by alot, making it a lot easier to find the option you are searching for.
On the other Hand, how often do you switch between 1:1 and stretch? (Fullscreen stays untouched as you can see) Or switch the control panel/preview on and off?

Last but not least, having options for sources available in the preview seems very context sensitive, you could discuss the option to only show them while "edit scene" is active and hide them while its not. Finally most of the now nested options are available through hotkeys. I know, the mentioned stretch/1:1/etc. are not. Maybe new hotkeys could be added for those.

Give ThonohTs current work a try if you can and then report back!! :)

ThoNohT

Developer
I do think that when there are no other options, it might be a good idea to take the "Preview" goup out of the sub menu. That would be when clicking with the stream off, or just no sources below the cursor (that includes the grey parts next to the black stream area).

And indeed, it is context sensitive. To me, it was a big annoyance that I often tried to right click a source to edit its position, only to find I had to figure out which one that was in the list box, and right click that one.