Question / Help OBS won't work on my old mac?

Sparky_Monster

Let me prefix by saying I am the LEAST tech savvy.

EDIT: I tried to reconfigure some settings (Put in a different Stream Key) and it started crashing again. It is now crashing upon startup again.

I have been trying to get OBS to work for, legitimately, years. to no avail. it would always crash upon opening. finally, after i updated my IOS, updated my OBS, and everything else that said it needed to be updated, My OBS stopped crashing upon startup!

But now, when I open it, I can go through the settings just fine, but nothing else works. I can't select a new scene, I can't select a new source, nothing. When I click on it, it does nothing, as if I didn't click on it at all. it is literally useless.

I have OBS on my Windows running laptop and it works just fine, but i can't illustrate on my laptop and I NEED it to work on my Mac so I can run art streams to make money.

PLEASE help me. I will do whatever is advised but I will need Laymen's instructions here, imagine teaching your grandma how to do this.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I'm happy to help walk you through some troubleshooting and determine what's going on here.

First step is to gather some information about your system:

What version of macOS are you on?
What model Mac is it (Processor and video card model are very helpful here)?
What version of OBS (I'm assuming 20.0.1, since you mentioned you updated, but just want to confirm)?

Sparky_Monster

What MacOS version are you on with your computer?
I'm happy to help walk you through some troubleshooting and determine what's going on here.

First step is to gather some information about your system:

What version of macOS are you on?
What model Mac is it (Processor and video card model are very helpful here)?
What version of OBS (I'm assuming 20.0.1, since you mentioned you updated, but just want to confirm)?

My OS is "OS X" "10.9.5"
Processor is "3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo"
OBS Ver. is 20.0.1

Sparky_Monster

I know that my computer is bit old and that the current OBS states "10.10 or higher" but I tried reinstalling the old OBS and it doesn't support OSx at all so :? I'm kind of screwed there

Sparky_Monster

The latest version of OBS that supposed 10.9 is 18.0.2, which can be found on the releases page on github here: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/tag/18.0.2

However, we have dropped support for macOS 10.9 (as has Apple, for that matter), so there's probably not a whole lot we can do help in this case. Truly sorry :(

does that mean that it is impossible for me to download it on my computer? I'm not quite sure what "dropped support" means

Harold

If you want to use the current version of OBS, you need a newer mac than what you currently have.

Sparky_Monster

If you want to use the current version of OBS, you need a newer mac than what you currently have.

I don't care about having the newest version or cool features or anything, all I want is to be able to stream at all. Is it going to be possible for me to use any version of it on my computer, is what I'm asking? OBS is the only Mac compatible Streaming program that is compatible with Picarto.. the GitHub link sent had only Windows compatible downloads so that is where my question came from.

Apologies for how dense I am >.>

Fenrir

Forum Admin
My mistake on the link, it's actually 18.0.1 as the last version.

Sorry! Try this link: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/tag/18.0.1

As for what "dropped support" means, is that you're unfortunately on your own with that old of a macOS version and OBS version. We don't spend time on them because there is little value in us trying to fix bugs or other issues that come up on an operating system that Apple themselves have stopped supporting.

The good news is that all the guides and resources we have available should all still apply to the older version. Click the "Wiki" link at the top of the page for new users guides and troubleshooting help if you need it.

Sparky_Monster

My mistake on the link, it's actually 18.0.1 as the last version.

Sorry! Try this link: https://github.com/jp9000/obs-studio/releases/tag/18.0.1

As for what "dropped support" means, is that you're unfortunately on your own with that old of a macOS version and OBS version. We don't spend time on them because there is little value in us trying to fix bugs or other issues that come up on an operating system that Apple themselves have stopped supporting.

The good news is that all the guides and resources we have available should all still apply to the older version. Click the "Wiki" link at the top of the page for new users guides and troubleshooting help if you need it.

Ahh I see! thankyou so much! I will try that release then and see if it works :) Thankyou