OBS Windows 8 Performance Feedback

Bensam123

So I've had some stellar problems with my computer and ended up having to reinstall. I ended up switching to W8 for the last few weeks and decided last night to switch back to W7 for a few different reasons.

Anyway, I heard good things about OBS in W8 (with enhanced WDDM capture and what not), but it didn't seem to deliver. I actually noticed a performance decrease between W7 and W8 while streaming with game capture. OBS used on average 7% more CPU in W8 then W7 while streaming 720p@30 Natural Selection 2. I tried using screen capture, but that produced much worse performance then simply using game capture. I'm not sure it this is correct or not, because this was supposed to be improved from what I heard with almost no performance hit. NS2 was also using about 3% more CPU usage on average in W8 over W7 as well for what that's worth, so I had a 10% decrease in performance while gaming.

I measured this with resource monitor on the side, you can sort by average usage. I'm still not sure what's going on because benchmarks I've seen have shown W8 has slightly improved performance over W7 or the same. The screen most definitely looked a lot less fluid in W8 and that's one of the reasons I switched back after my NS2 gameplay suffered from it.

A couple compounding variables I can think of:

I have a 8350 and the scheduler seems to be worse in W8. I noticed workloads were quite a bit less balanced while watching cpu utilization, which if I remember right is by design, but didn't seem to benefit my computer (I lost performance in games instead of gaining) in the intended way.

I have 144hz monitor which seems to have performance quirks. Not the monitor itself, but software seems built completely around 60hz and you start running into weird issues with >60hz configurations. This is apparent on W7 with a 60hz and >60hz monitor attached to the same adapter. If you have motion content on the 60hz monitor it causes stuttering across the whole system (unless aero is disabled).

I also had some faulty SSDs in my system at the time I was using W8. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the cause of the performance loss as the storage subsystem largely doesn't relate to in game performance besides initial loads.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
OBS doesn't operate any differently on windows 8 than it does on windows 7. The only difference is monitor capture, which is super fast, and that's pretty much the only reason I've ever recommended it to anyone. Everything else is identical and functions identical. Any performance differences aren't on the part of OBS itself.