Obs Virtual Camera

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The image is flipped by the application using the camera, not OBS. It's only flipped for your preview window, because most people use webcams and expect their image to look the same as what they see in a mirror. Everyone else will see it the correct way.

rdenouden

In the plugin there was an option to flip the camera, this was very usefull as skype in all it's wisdom decides to flip the camera on its own without the option to disable that.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The option was intentionally removed as it only leads to confusion. If you flip the image so it looks correct on your end, the recipient of the video will see it flipped.

djbauer

The option was intentionally removed as it only leads to confusion. If you flip the image so it looks correct on your end, the recipient of the video will see it flipped.

It's still flipped in Discord.

Dirkaios

You can use OBS-VirtualCam plugin. It creates 4 virtual cameras and you can flip the video horizontally.
The developers says that flipping the video is buggy, but it worked fine on Discord.

https://github.com/Fenrirthviti/obs-virtual-cam/releases
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/obs-virtualcam.949/

2020-12-11 10_06_11-Window.png

powersimple

I would like to appeal this decision. Confusion is a UX matter, not a feature matter. Removing the feature doesn't solve the need.
I am pushing a display into a virtual camera, and using the virtual camera in Zoom with no way to unflip. I'm with the crowd that wants flip horizontal restored.

tjet325

It would be nice if they brought this option back, as it still has use (I'm using a webcam to show what I'm writing on paper and it's flipped to my viewers).

You can work around it by scaling your source to -100%

pjeide

Zoom has an option to unflip the preview.

kDY6IFd.png

Zoom may have the ability to mirror the video, but not all applications do. For instance, Microsoft Teams does not have such an option. Because OBS's built in virtual cam can't be flipped horizontally, I've been forced to go back to using the plugin, because the way that video conferencing apps handle "webcam" video is inconsistent.

I'd prefer not to have to use a 3rd party plugin, but without the ability to flip the video, that isn't possible.

Duneklide

Guys just set the virtual cam output type to Internal and the output selection to "program output" then flip your display capture horizontally, you dont need any plugins or the old setting, its still there you just have to change what virtual cam is capturing.

Guys just set the virtual cam output type to Internal and the output selection to "program output" then flip your display capture horizontally, you dont need any plugins or the old setting, its still there you just have to change what virtual cam is capturing.
Which version of OBS does this apply to? I'm v27 and don't see an option to make these settings. Am I missing something somewhere or is this for a later version?

thanks

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
v28 introduced virtual camera mixes. But as outlined above, you do not need to flip your capture, it is almost certainly a mistake to want to do so.

BuckyBunker

Sorry to bring this up again but how is this still a pain in the butt?
I'm trying to use my OBS virtual camera to join a Twitch Streaming Together session but it's flipped over there too.
So in order to make this work I have to create a new OBS scene, put my normal scene in there and flip that entire thing so the virtual camera flips it again?
I don't understand why there isn't a "stop flipping my camera" checkbox