OBS Virtual Camera doesn't show as a Connected Camera in Win11 Settings

bucke

Others have reported this, and it apparently isn't getting attention (or maybe this feature/function will eventually be discontinued??) - but this is a really great and useful feature that I use in Teams, Zoom, WebEx, etc...

I have rebooted, uninstalled, reinstalled OBS, and nothing thus far seems to help. But very oddly, the Teams, Zoom, WebEx apps seems to recognize the OBS virtual camera, but not always. Sometimes the video picture is black. Previously, I started the OBS Virtual Camera and left it running in the background...but it hasn't worked in the past 4-5 months. Rather, it will still show in Teams, Zoom, WebEx apps , but it doesn't work reliably like it used to.

Another thing I noticed, is that Win11 Settings doesn't show the OBS Virtual Camera, and neither does the native Win11 Camera app. ...but it used to.

Here is screenshot of how the setting page looks now, even though the Virtual Camera is running in OBS.

1714763600511.png

bucke

Well, reference this: https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/windows-11-device-manager-does-not-show-camera.173065/

The virtual obs camera never shows up in Windows device manager. It links into Windows without device driver. Most apps will recognize the virtual cam, however there are some apps that insist on a physical camera don't, such as the Windows camera app. Make sure you installed OBS with the installer, not from a zip file in portable mode.

I can't find documentation (yet) that indicates something did change, but obviously something has changed. The Virtual Camera is recognized by my Video Conferencing apps, but not by the Windows 11 Camera app. ...go figure.