Question / Help OBS version 24.06 -output file desaturated colors

GregoryCJ

Just now uninstalled and re-installed OBS and the rendering has the same desaturated color... with 709 partial as the default settings.

Is an older version of OBS still accessible? I could run it and see what happens.

Narcogen

Did you run mediainfo on the simple output file? Because the dump there I see still shows a lot of custom ffmpeg settings.

GregoryCJ

Here is the media info on the simple output file.... which is desaturated. What does it tell you?
Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 10.45.29 AM.png

GregoryCJ

Assuming that the colour on your iMac is acceptably true , what are your video > format, colour > space , colour > range settings? I'm quite sure that I made renders with all the variables...but worth checking again.

GregoryCJ

I have included a mediainfo from a QT render of the same desktop....As you pointed out there are a lot more Encoding settings with the OBS render vs the QT render....

Are there settings within OBS other than Video that need to be adjusted?

Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 10.57.44 AM.png

GregoryCJ

Just for comparison, Here is the media info on three screen captures from three different software.. 1ST Quicktime, 2nd IShowU and the third OBS. Both Quicktime and IshowU captured true color and you know the story about OBS. Your thoughts.

QT.png
IShowU.png
OBS.png

Narcogen

Not sure. I'm at least gratified that the recordings now show the proper color space setting (709 partial) but I'm currently unable to duplicate or explain the difference in color display.

I can only guess at possible issues, one of which would be a problem between OBS and Catalina that I can't diagnose because I'm still on Mojave, or something specific to the software you're recording-- that it is altering the color display in a way that QuickTime is accurately reproducing what you're seeing, but that OBS is unable to.

If it is consistent a workaround might be, if you need to continue using OBS, adding a color filter to compensate.

GregoryCJ

Why does OBS have a vast entry in "encoding settings" and the other two don't appear to even have an "encoding setting". Could this be the issue?

Narcogen

QT just doesn't write that data into the file, and OBS does. Your encoding command matches mine when using simple output mode.

brunoamaral

I was having the same problem and read the thread. I found out that if I am using a secondary monitor, with it's own color profile, whatever is being captured is displayed with the correct colors.

Changing the color profile on my macbook's display also improved the result.

brunoamaral

@GregoryCJ I was using a TV and the macbook picked up the vendor's color profile. I also saw improvements when I used the Apple Color profiles for RGB. I would suggest you try them out and see which fits best for you.