Bug Report OBS unstable in 14.04 ffmpeg not installable

I was told that the build server was fixed so I thought I would try out the unstable ppa again and what's happening now is that i can't install obs because of dependencies to a certain version of ffmpeg. The guide says to use severinson PPA for ffmpeg and that's what I have yet I get these errors.
Code:
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 obs-studio : Depends: libavcodec-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libavformat-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libavutil-ffmpeg54 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libswresample-ffmpeg1 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libswscale-ffmpeg3 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What's most weird is that i'm already running obs-studio from github, i downloaded the code and compiled it myself. I'm using a portable build of 0.8.1

mangopuncher

I was told that the build server was fixed so I thought I would try out the unstable ppa again and what's happening now is that i can't install obs because of dependencies to a certain version of ffmpeg. The guide says to use severinson PPA for ffmpeg and that's what I have yet I get these errors.
Code:
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
obs-studio : Depends: libavcodec-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libavformat-ffmpeg56 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libavutil-ffmpeg54 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libswresample-ffmpeg1 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
              Depends: libswscale-ffmpeg3 (>= 7:2.4) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

What's most weird is that i'm already running obs-studio from github, i downloaded the code and compiled it myself. I'm using a portable build of 0.8.1

I noticed the same thing, I actually was trying to install obs-studio in a docker container and ran into this problem. I think I'll have to end up building from source as well.

ok, i removed the severenson ppa and added the new ffmpeg next ppa and was able to install obs-studio BUT it still fails to work. Now i get this when I try to launch either the portable version of obs-studio (i compiled that and it's version 0.8.1) or the unstable ppa installed version.

Code:
./obs: error while loading shared libraries: libswresample.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Why, why why? I had a working OBS just fine prior to trying to mess with it. Not sure why I do this to myself all the time, try to upgrade stuff because i think it'll be better and then i just break stuff. Sadly I was afraid this was going to happen. For the time being i'll just remove this new shit ffmpeg next PPA and use the job severenson ppa for ffmpeg so that I have a working obs as i need it for my 4 day a week livestreaming schedule.

Hopefully the devs can work come up with a solution that works for 14.04 and 14.10 because the current solution isn't working in 14.04

When I try to locate libswresample.so.0 I find nothing. when I do ffmpeg --version I get the following
Code:
 libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0

here's the entire output
Code:
ffmpeg version 2.4.3-1ubuntu1~trusty6 Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
  built on Nov 22 2014 17:07:19 with gcc 4.8 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version='1ubuntu1~trusty6' --build-suffix=-ffmpeg --toolchain=hardened --extra-cflags= --extra-cxxflags= --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --shlibdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --enable-avisynth --enable-fontconfig --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libflite --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libshine --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-opengl --enable-x11grab --enable-libxvid --enable-libx265 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libiec61883 --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzmq --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-libsoxr --enable-openal --enable-libopencv
  libavutil      54.  7.100 / 54.  7.100
  libavcodec     56.  1.100 / 56.  1.100
  libavformat    56.  4.101 / 56.  4.101
  libavdevice    56.  0.100 / 56.  0.100
  libavfilter     5.  1.100 /  5.  1.100
  libavresample   2.  1.  0 /  2.  1.  0
  libswscale      3.  0.100 /  3.  0.100
  libswresample   1.  1.100 /  1.  1.100
  libpostproc    53.  0.100 / 53.  0.100
Unrecognized option '-version'.
Error splitting the argument list: Option not found

zenobs

I suggest you to do the following:

sudo apt-get purge ffmpeg
sudo apt-get autormeove
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install --reinstall ffmpeg obs-studio

I guess this should work in ubuntu 14.04, it is working at my end, but still not useful for my needs, so falling back to ffmpeg from command line. ;-)

The guide says to use severinson PPA for ffmpeg and that's what I have yet I get these errors.

The guide (INSTALL file) was modified 20 days ago and points since to kirillshkrogalev/ffmpeg-next PPA...& you said you're using a build from github in version 0.8.1...but we're already in 0.8.3 ! Strange...

Moreover, don't try to use an unstable PPA if you want a stable OBS...^^'

I think you should:
  1. uninstall obs-studio
  2. delete unstable PPA
  3. follow zenobs 3 first commands
  4. add stable PPA
  5. follow zenobs 3 last commands

Last edited:
UPDATE: I got it all sorted out. I just had to ppa-purge the unstable obs-studio ppa, then update, then install the stable obs-studio ppa, then update and install the new ffmpeg ppa and then install obs. All is well now