Question / Help OBS Studio recording/streaming quality is fuzzy

Vzelo

There's no recording session in that log, and so no information on performance or encoder settings.
Interesting i must have done it wrong. Again im sorry but i am New, how do i record a session then "correctly" because i thought i did it right...

Narcogen

Open OBS. Start recording or streaming. Wait til you observe your problem. Stop recording or streaming. Upload the current log.

Vzelo

Open OBS. Start recording or streaming. Wait til you observe your problem. Stop recording or streaming. Upload the current log.
Huh, that is weird, because that is exactly what i did. I recorded Warhammer 2 footage for like a solid minute than stopped. Went to help, log files and upload last log files and copied the URL.

carlmmii

There we go, now we're getting somewhere.

For starters, you're using the "Rescale Output" option for getting the 1920x1080 output. Don't do this. Instead, set your Output (scaled) resolution in the Video tab -- this will give you options for what rescale filter to use (lanczos should give the best quality), as well as leverage the GPU to do the rescaling instead of your CPU.

For the recording, it looks like you have it set to use your streaming settings, which are set for CBR at 3500kbps. This is very low bitrate, even by streaming standards for 1080p. You need to either raise this bitrate, or even better, just change to using CRF or CQP, with the quality set to 20 or lower.

As a side note, you're also encountering rendering lag. This won't affect the quality of the compressed images, but it does introduce stuttering in the recording. You still have game mode enabled, so that is the first thing you should turn off to try to fix this. If that doesn't help, then you'll likely need to cap your in-game framerate so you don't max out your GPU usage -- OBS needs GPU resources in order to composite the scene, so if it's not able to, the result is lagged rendering and missing frames in the encode.

Vzelo

There we go, now we're getting somewhere.

For starters, you're using the "Rescale Output" option for getting the 1920x1080 output. Don't do this. Instead, set your Output (scaled) resolution in the Video tab -- this will give you options for what rescale filter to use (lanczos should give the best quality), as well as leverage the GPU to do the rescaling instead of your CPU.

For the recording, it looks like you have it set to use your streaming settings, which are set for CBR at 3500kbps. This is very low bitrate, even by streaming standards for 1080p. You need to either raise this bitrate, or even better, just change to using CRF or CQP, with the quality set to 20 or lower.

As a side note, you're also encountering rendering lag. This won't affect the quality of the compressed images, but it does introduce stuttering in the recording. You still have game mode enabled, so that is the first thing you should turn off to try to fix this. If that doesn't help, then you'll likely need to cap your in-game framerate so you don't max out your GPU usage -- OBS needs GPU resources in order to composite the scene, so if it's not able to, the result is lagged rendering and missing frames in the encode.
I turned off game mode and unchecked the rescale box but nothing seemed to happen in OBS. I raised the bitrate, but the quality over all is still poor. And i could not find the filter rescale, where is the location of the rescale option?

Narcogen

Settings > Video > Downscale Filter

It is directly below where you set the Canvas and Scaled resolutions.

What did you raise the bitrate to?

Vzelo

Settings > Video > Downscale Filter

It is directly below where you set the Canvas and Scaled resolutions.

What did you raise the bitrate to?
For streaming i changed the Bitrate to 40,000 but the quality still looks the same for some reason.

Last edited:

Zidakuh

For streaming i changed the Bitrate to 40,000 but the quality still looks the same for some reason.
Disable "enforce streaming service" in the output tab.
Also, for streaming, 40.000kbps is waaaay too high, unless streaming to youtube.
Twitch allows a maximum bitrate of 6000.

Vzelo

Also, for streaming, 40.000kbps is waaaay too high, unless streaming to youtube.
even after changing i still get very blurry videos, i have tried everything but nothing seems to be working for me. is there anything else i should try? All i do is want to make 1080 videos, and i think my PC should be able to handle it.

Vzelo

Image2.jpg

This is what i get its kinda good but still very blurry and when i move the camera it is very laggy and the quality shoots down.

Benman2785

guys - if you want to steam 1080p60 on twitch you must know that 6000kbps is NOT ENOUGH for most scenarios

i stream in 864p48@5340kbps + 592kb custom buffer using this x264 options
Code:
level=3.2 no-cabac=1 ref=2 bframes=0 direct=auto deblock=-3:2 no-mbtree=0 me=hex subme=5 sync-lookahead=0 rc-lookahead=0 trellis=0 weightb=0 weightp=0 aq-mode=1 aq-strength=1.20 threads=4
here is my result http://youtu.be/sPAuNFLlKls

Vzelo

guys - if you want to steam 1080p60 on twitch you must know that 6000kbps is NOT ENOUGH for most scenarios

i stream in 864p48@5340kbps + 592kb custom buffer using this x264 options
Code:
level=3.2 no-cabac=1 ref=2 bframes=0 direct=auto deblock=-3:2 no-mbtree=0 me=hex subme=5 sync-lookahead=0 rc-lookahead=0 trellis=0 weightb=0 weightp=0 aq-mode=1 aq-strength=1.20 threads=4
here is my result http://youtu.be/sPAuNFLlKls
Okay but even when i am recording the is the quality i get. I want to record more than i want to stream. How would i fix the blurriness of the and the lag of the recording. I have looked at almost every video on youtube for tutorials and it tells me the same thing that i have already done.

Benman2785

Okay but even when i am recording the is the quality i get. I want to record more than i want to stream. How would i fix the blurriness of the and the lag of the recording. I have looked at almost every video on youtube for tutorials and it tells me the same thing that i have already done.

AHHH, dude - simply do this:
OUTPUT - ADVANCED MODE - RATE CONTROL CRF
set CRF to 15 or 18 or 21
set CPU USAGE PRESET to veryfast or faster

done

Zidakuh

Which video player do you use to view the recordings?
VLC is highly recommended, since it's no-frills and just works.