OBS Studio (obs-studio) Limited Recorder File Path Access

JasonCA

Hello,

This is my first posting, so hopefully this is the proper place to ask this question.

I’m going a bit crazy with OBS Studio and folder access:

Selecting Settings->Output->Recording Path (Click BROWSE) does not let me select a lot of my folders. Even when giving FULL access and ownership to certain folders, I can’t view it.

In fact, even running OBS Studio under root privilege, I still can’t access some folders despite giving FULL access to a given folder.
Why is it that the File Dialog accessed from OBS Studio can not see a lot of the folders despite the folders having full permission for OBS Studio to see it? I am at a loss.

For example:

chmod a+rwx /srv

Can view fine from dolphin under normal user account. However, OBS Studio file dialog can't see any folders? Why?

I'm at a loss

JasonCA

Screenshot1.png is of OBS Studio not showing the folders in /Srv

Screenshot2.png is of Dolphin showing folders in /Srv

Why can't I see the files in OBS Studio?

Attachments

• Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 149

cash_flagg

If you are using the snap version of OBS, you will be limited to writing to the user's home directory. You can expand this to include disks mounted under /media with this command: "snap connect obs-studio:removable-media"

I had a drive already mounted outside /media that I wanted to use, so I used a bind mount under the home directory to be able to access that drive.

JasonCA

Thank for your response cash_flagg.

Yes, I am using the snap version of OBS Studio.

I did issue the command "snap connect obs-studio:removable-media" where I was prompted sudo permission. I proceeded and it seems to take the command without error.

I proceeded to restart obs-studio.

Looking at the guide here:
obs_studio_removable_storage.png

/srv or /srv/samba or /srv/ftp are not removable storage paths. Although I issued the above command, I still have issues.

Tried entering a folder path that does exist (see prior screenshots) of /srv/samba:
OBS-Studio-Output-Path.png

But, the samba folder is not visible in the File Dialog selection of OBS Studio (again see prior screen shot in earlier post).

Still, even with a valid folder path, I get the following:
BadFilePath1.png

I'm at a loss still.

Any ideas?

cash_flagg

The snap version can't write to /svr, so you can either do a bind mount to /svr in the user's home directory, or try installing the obs snap in dev mode to open up the whole file system to it. (I haven't tried the dev mode route myself)