OBS Studio 31.0 Beta

Fenrir

Forum Admin
WARNING: If you are using Groups in your Scene Collection, there is a known issue that may result in their size/position being shifted when using Beta1. We are working on a fix, which can be tracked here. If your scenes are affected, please note that a backup is created before migration to the new relative coordinates system, and can be found in your OBS settings directory, under the file <name>.json.v1, where <name> is your scene collection name.

Disclaimer: This is a test build, not a full release. This build may contain bugs or broken functionality. For production usage, we still recommend using the latest stable build of OBS. If you are willing to test this build, please let us know if you run into any issues.

OBS Studio 31.0 Beta1 is now available for testing! This release comes with new NVIDA Blur and Background Blur filters, easier scrolling of the preview when zoomed, improved YouTube Chat support, a long-awaited update to the Browser Source (including custom docks and service integrations!), a rewritten NVENC encoder for better performance, and many backend changes and optimizations for upcoming features in newer versions.

To enable the beta version, either download from the GitHub link below, or on Windows/macOS go to Settings -> General and change the Update Channel to Betas / Release Candidates

• Added NVIDIA Blur Filter and Background Blur [pkviet]
  • Added preview scrollbars and zoom/scale indicator [cg2121/Warchamp7]
  • Added v210 format support for AJA device capture [paulh-aja]
  • Added Amazon IVS service integration [palana]
  • Added QSV AV1 Screen Content Coding [thyintel]
  • Enabled first-party YouTube Chat features [msuman-google]
  • Updated the browser source/docks CEF (Chromium) to version 127 (6533) on all platforms [reitowo/WizardCM/PatTheMav/tytan652/pkviet/kkartaltepe/Lain-B]
  • Changed scene items to use relative coordinates [derrod]
    • Existing scene collections will be automatically converted to use relative coordinates if the scene collection has a known output resolution set.
  • Split NVIDIA Audio Effects from Noise Suppression [pkviet]
    • Existing filters will be automatically migrated.
  • Changed the Image Slideshow's Playback Mode property from radio buttons to a dropdown [derrod]
  • Disabled the (currently unsupported) built-in Automatic Scene Switcher when using Wayland on Linux [tytan652]
  • Improved error messages for macOS Virtual Camera [jcm93]
  • Changed Display and Window capture on Windows to not capture the first found display or window [Lain-B]
  • Changed display and window capture on Linux to not capture implicitly [Lain-B]
  • Added a warning to Window Capture when trying to capture WinUI 3 applications with BitBlt [qhy040404]
  • Refactored the NVENC implementation with various improvements [derrod]
    • SDK 12.2 features, such as split encoding, are now supported.
    • Additional features from old SDKs are supported:
      • B-Frames as reference
      • Target Quality VBR mode (CQVBR)
    • A custom options field has been added to allow setting more options that don't warrant their own UI elements.
  • Improved screensaver inhibit functions on Linux in Flatpak
  • Removed default desktop audio device on macOS 13+ [jcm93]
  • Removed NVIDIA Kepler GPU support for NVENC [derrod]
  • Removed FTL support [derrod]
  • Removed legacy migrations from OBS Studio 28.1 and earlier [derrod]
    • If updating from these older versions, you may wish to update to OBS Studio 30.2 first, and then update to OBS Studio 31.
  • Removed support for Ubuntu 22.04 [derrod]
  • Application settings have been split into "app" configuration and "user" configuration, rather than storing everything in global.ini [PatTheMav]

Find the the full patch notes and download links for OBS Studio 31.0 Beta1 here:
For other ways to install the beta:

To access the beta via Steam, right-click the OBS Studio entry in Steam or click the cog icon on the game page, select "Properties...", then navigate to "Betas" and select the "beta" option in the dropdown:
1659496483190-png.85265

Ubuntu users: You can try the unstable branch with the following commands:
Bash:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio-unstable
sudo apt update
sudo apt install obs-studio

And if you want to remove it:
Bash:
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:obsproject/obs-studio-unstable
sudo apt update
sudo apt remove obs-studio

To use the beta version from Flathub, please use the following commands:

Bash:
$ flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo

$ flatpak install flathub-beta com.obsproject.Studio

Please give the build a try and let us know here or in the #beta-testing channel on Discord if you have any issues. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Grumpus

Hello! Tried this update, and a lot of my sources are now resized completely wrong so I've had to redo a bunch of my scenes sadly. :(
1728510909850.png

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Hello! Tried this update, and a lot of my sources are now resized completely wrong so I've had to redo a bunch of my scenes sadly. :(
Just to confirm, were you using Groups for the sources that had their sizes changed? Please provide a log file if possible.

EDIT: As a note, the original scene should be saved as a backup before the migration as a ".json.v1" file in the OBS settings directory. Once we fix the issue with Groups, it can be re-imported and should be still fine.

Grumpus

Just to confirm, were you using Groups for the sources that had their sizes changed? Please provide a log file if possible.

EDIT: As a note, the original scene should be saved as a backup before the migration as a ".json.v1" file in the OBS settings directory. Once we fix the issue with Groups, it can be re-imported and should be still fine.
Exactly, I was just messing about with it more and it seemed to be related to groups. Thanks for the help. :)

hafner

Hi, this is the error I encountered when choosing ultra-high quality in tuning

Attachments

• 2024-10-10_172216.png
    2024-10-10_172216.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 45

Fenrir

Forum Admin
That log does not appear to contain an attempt to start output. Reproduce the error message, and then do Help -> Log Files -> Upload Current Log, grab the link and post here.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
I don't do this often, I'm sorry
No worries! The issue is that you need to set bframes to at least 4 for that tune to work properly. There was supposed to be a guard/fallback that set it automatically, but it was just an oversight. We'll get it fixed by final release.

youngmellz

Has/can the issue with RNN Noise cancellation be fixed in this version. I run 30.2.3 and cpu usage by goes up 15-20% when the mic is physically muted. All drivers are up to date. I have restarted obs in safe mode and I am still getting issue. I have added a test scene collection with only the mic added (with RNN noise suppression filter) and it still occurs so this issue HAS to be coming from the base OS or base OBS build and since it was in safe mode, it’s not a plugin issue. I can use Speex without any spike in render times, both with mic on mute and unmute but the moment I use RNN and mute mic render goes up. When I unmute it’s back to normal. It is undetectable in a log because i am using the physical mute button on the mic.

dighawaii

So yeah, I have a lot of groups and scenes and the locations go haywire to the point that I simply rolled back, and used the backup scene to repair. Is the new coordinate system coming whether we like it or not, and are our groups destined to be jumbled up in the near future? Because if so I will simply bite the bullet and start working the show over to accommodate. If not, I will simply wait for the mitigations to be in place before upgrading when the release comes.

Thanks in advance, looks like a great update otherwise!

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Does that include browser plugins? Like adblock for example?
For this version, no. If we want to support browser plugins in the future (which adds additional complexity and security complications) we currently have a long road ahead to prepare for such an eventuality.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
To clarify the above, we do not have any current or long term plans to support extensions in browser source/panels.

Agini

OBS crashes immediately upon opening after updating to this version. Is there an easy way to roll back without losing my profiles/scenes?

I have the exact same problem - OBS crashes at startup without any screen loaded and it reports it crashed - i figured out it has something to do with commandline arguments - when i open OBS with a shortcut that does not have commandline arguments it loads my last used webcam.