OBS Studio 25.0 Release Candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Disclaimer: This is a test build, not a full release. This build may contain bugs or broken functionality. For production usage, we still recommend using the latest stable build of OBS. If you are willing to test this build, please let us know if you run into any issues.

The OBS Studio 25.0 Release Candidate is now available for testing! This release has been in the works for quite a while, and we're excited to finally get these features into your hands! Some of the highlights of this release include:
  • Vulkan capture support
    • Currently the only game known not to work with this yet is Rainbow Six Siege, which Ubisoft will need up update to support the hook.
  • A new capture method for Window capture, using a new WIndows 10 capture API
    • The advantage of this capture method is that it can be used to capture Microsoft Store (UWP) apps as well as browsers with hardware acceleration enabled
    • The downside is that the windows being captured will have a yellow border around them, and you may experience some cursor lag. The yellow outline does not appear on stream, however.
  • SRT output support (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Reliable_Transport)
    • In Stream settings, set the service to "Custom" and enter your srt:// stream path in the Server box
  • Scene collection importing from other applications
    • The applications that are currently supported are OBS Classic, Xsplit, and Streamlabs.
    • Go to the Scene Collections menu > Import, then navigate to the scene collection file that you wish to import and select it. OBS will detect the scene collection type and handle the rest.
  • And much, much more! See the patch notes for more details
Download and full patch notes for Release Candidate 6:
Ubuntu users: You can try the unstable branch with the following commands:
Bash:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:obsproject/obs-studio-unstable
sudo apt install obs-studio

Please give the release a try and let us know here or in the #beta-testing channel on Discord if you have any issues. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
Not sure what to test, or where to begin? Look no further for steps & examples!

A number of games have recently updated with new "Vulkan Rendering" modes, and newer games may only come with Vulkan rendering.
  1. Launch the OBS RC at least once before launching a Vulkan game.
  2. Add a Game Capture source, and point it to your game.
  3. Test any and all Vulkan games available as possible. Make sure the game is set to Vulkan mode. Example games:
    1. DOOM 2016
    2. No Man’s Sky
    3. The Talos Principle
    4. Dota 2
    5. Red Dead Redemption 2
    6. Serious Sam Fusion 2017
    7. Wolfenstein: Youngblood
    8. Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
    9. RAGE 2
This'll allow you to capture a number of applications you weren't able to before.
  1. Add a new “Window Capture” source
  2. Point it to your hardware accelerated application (make sure you didn’t disable hardware acceleration). Examples:
    1. Photoshop
    2. Discord
    3. Spotify
    4. Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge (Chromium)
  3. A yellow border will appear around the window (provided by Microsoft. we can’t disable it)
  4. The window should capture in OBS
SRT is a protocol that can send audio/video between applications & devices on a network, often used in big productions.

For quick testing without an SRT server, you can use OBS in listener mode. Note: OBS is not designed for this mode, so the Start Streaming button may appear without text until you connect a viewer like VLC.
  1. Under Settings -> Stream set service to Custom and set the “Server” to:
    • srt://127.0.0.1:3000?mode=listener
  2. Start streaming
  3. Download the latest VLC Nightly here: https://nightlies.videolan.org/
  4. Load this URL in VLC: srt://127.0.0.1:3000
The new Importer is capable of importing scene collections from other platforms (Windows collection on Linux, etc), but also from other applications, like OBS Classic, XSplit, and Streamlabs.

1. Open the Scene Collection menu along the top, and select “Import”
  2. The first time you open the Import dialog, it’ll ask if you want it to search for existing collections. It’ll scan folders that normally contain collections, nothing else (it won’t automatically import them). Click “Yes”
  3. The dialog should immediately contain collections from other applications. Use the checkboxes on the left to select which you’d like to import, then select “Import” at the bottom
  4. Open the Scene Collection menu again. At the bottom of the list, your new scene collections should now be included. Switch to one of them.
  5. Now that you’ve switched to an imported scene collection, make sure that all your scenes, sources and hotkeys load correctly.
    1. Especially double check browser sources, and video capture devices
Note: browser panels and stream settings are not included in scene collections. You will need to create a Profile to go alongside any new Scene Collections
And if you're interested in experimenting with some smaller features, here's are some steps:
  • T-bar
    1. Open Studio Mode
    2. Choose a Scene Transition like Fade
      • Note that this does not work with Stinger transitions or the Cut transition
    3. Drag the T-bar (doesn’t have to be all the way)
    4. The Program view should show stick at the point you’ve selected via the T-bar
  • Volume lock
    1. Set the volume of a source to what you need
    2. Right click the audio source and select “Lock Volume”
    3. The volume slider should be greyed out and not draggable
  • Aspect ratio in Video Settings
    1. Go to Settings -> Video
    2. Adjust the Canvas or Scaled resolution
    3. The aspect ratio should change and be correct
  • Source Icons
    1. They should be on by default and visible in the Sources list, Advanced Audio Properties, and the Add Source menu
    2. They can be disabled in View -> Source Icons
    3. Once disabled, they should no longer be visible in the Sources list and Advanced Audio Properties
  • Change projector type
    1. Open a windowed or fullscreen projector
    2. Right click within the projector’s window
    3. Select either “Windowed” or one of your displays
    4. The projector type should change to match your selector
  • Media control hotkeys
    1. Add a media source, point to a video or audio file
    2. Go to Settings -> Hotkeys and search for the source you added
    3. Set hotkeys for play, pause and stop
    4. Save the settings and go back to the main window
    5. Use the hotkeys to control the source

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper

The AMD plugin has gone into maintenance mode for now, as its main developer decided to leave the project. Check the last comment in the GItHub issue in that first link.

The GPU priority fix has worked out really well so far since 24.0.2, and it can still be used when running the v25 RC as administrator. As we have a strict timeline for v25, we were unable to squeeze the priority fix into a non-admin mode for this version, but it's on our list.

Sylverstone14

The ability to import scenes is definitely a big feature, especially for folks who hesitated to come to OBS Studio in fear of losing their scenes on other programs.

FerretBomb

Found a minor glitch. If you turn off Source Icons and then rename a Source, the visibility 'eye' icon snaps to the left side. It is functional after the rename, but can't be moved back to the right side next to the lock-source padlock icon until OBS is exited and restarted.
OBS_Studio_25RC1-RenameBug.png

(edit: Just hit another glitch, when adding an existing image source to a new blank scene, it showed up in the Preview window, but did not update in the Sources list until I switched away to another scene and back. Confirmed repeatable.)(On restart of OBS, unable to repeat even with a new scene. Testing to try to reproduce and establish method.)
OBS_Studio_25RC1-SourceAddBug.png

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Found a minor glitch. If you turn off Source Icons and then rename a Source, the visibility 'eye' icon snaps to the left side. It is functional after the rename, but can't be moved back to the right side next to the lock-source padlock icon until OBS is exited and restarted.
View attachment 51726
Thanks for the report! This will be fixed in the next RC.

Gizzmicbob

RC1 seems to be unable to capture the game Human Fall Flat. Display capture would work fine (as expected) but game capture wasn't liking it. OBS was running as admin, I tried turning of Steam overlay, restarted my PC, etc. Rolling back fixed the problem so I assume it's a bug with RC1.

Edit: And a couple of other games I tried worked fine. This is the only game I found has an issue.

pookievideo

I upgraded from the latest build of OBS to the RC and I get immediate crashes when I try to add a capture "window". Specifically I was trying to capture a browser window, but I don't even get that far. Just click add and choose window capture and it will crash. Repeatable every time. I did not try a fresh install as I wanted to be sure the issue was repeatable. If there is a fix, that would be great.. if not I will do a complete fresh install not an upgrade.

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
RC1 seems to be unable to capture the game Human Fall Flat. Display capture would work fine (as expected) but game capture wasn't liking it. OBS was running as admin, I tried turning of Steam overlay, restarted my PC, etc. Rolling back fixed the problem so I assume it's a bug with RC1.

Edit: And a couple of other games I tried worked fine. This is the only game I found has an issue.
Likely it has anticheat that needs to be updated.

I upgraded from the latest build of OBS to the RC and I get immediate crashes when I try to add a capture "window". Specifically I was trying to capture a browser window, but I don't even get that far. Just click add and choose window capture and it will crash. Repeatable every time. I did not try a fresh install as I wanted to be sure the issue was repeatable. If there is a fix, that would be great.. if not I will do a complete fresh install not an upgrade.

This is a known issue and will be fixed in RC2 today

Harvey S

25.0 RC2 Game capture No longer captures VLC player works in 24.0.3 , can not move sliders in mixer with mouse wheel, How does the T bar fader work?

SpkBrkEng_jp

Apply a filter to the source. If you move to another scene and return to that source again, the filter will no longer apply.
Color Correction , Scaling/Aspect Ratio etc..

WizardCM

Forum Moderator
Community Helper
25.0 RC2 Game capture No longer captures VLC player works in 24.0.3 , can not move sliders in mixer with mouse wheel, How does the T bar fader work?
Hmm, something may be up with using Game Capture on VLC. Noted.

To move a slider in the mixer with the mouse wheel, first click once on the slider grip to focus the slider, then use the scrollwheel. This was intruduced in v24 so people don't accidentally change their volumes.

Apply a filter to the source. If you move to another scene and return to that source again, the filter will no longer apply.
Color Correction , Scaling/Aspect Ratio etc..

Huh, you'd be correct. Confirmed that it happens, and I also determined the offending commit. We'll definitely be looking into this one.

Just on Windows 7 I tested the capture of games on Vulkan.
The Talos Principle - Capture Works
No Man's Sky - Capture Works
The Surge 2 - capture does not work (why?)

GodlessGeek

OBS: v25 RC2

Adding a Window Source:
If there are no windows open to list as an available source of capture, the Cancel button on the "Properties for 'Window Capture'" window does not work. The close button in the title bar and the Escape key work. If there is an available source listed, the Cancel button works.

If a web browser is already open when I launch OBS, OBS doesn't list it as an available window when adding a Window Source. If I open the browser after OBS has been launched, everything appears to work as intended.

I only tested three browsers: Both Firefox (v73.0.1) and Chrome (v80.0.3987.132, Official 64-bit) display the described behavior. Microsoft Edge (Legacy version) is always listed as available when open but the added source doesn't actually display anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.